F76A3C48-7EB2-4AAF-8F10-A9D793F1B509.jpeg
10 months Is this molting or something else??
View attachment 1223019
Work of a rooster. Picture of my hen

Recommended is 10-15 hens per rooster. Some can have a lower amount, like bantams, and some can be better with even more hens.

Sorry for all the questions... so if I want to keep my rooster by adding a few pullets, how old should they be before I try and integrate them? He is a beautiful EE and I wanted to mate him with my new Marans next summer for olive colored egg layers...

Sorry for all the questions... so if I want to keep my rooster by adding a few pullets, how old should they be before I try and integrate them? He is a beautiful EE and I wanted to mate him with my new Marans next summer for olive colored egg layers...
I always integrate my new ones at 4-8 weeks of age. I find it easier than trying to integrate older birds who are often viewed as intruders, as opposed to chicks that are a natural addition to a flock.

How old are your pullets? What does your setup look like? The bigger the better, and the easier it will be.

I always integrate my new ones at 4-8 weeks of age. I find it easier than trying to integrate older birds who are often viewed as intruders, as opposed to chicks that are a natural addition to a flock.

How old are your pullets? What does your setup look like? The bigger the better, and the easier it will be.
I could move the hens around to correct the ratio, just want to make sure I don’t lose any of my flock...
I have a larger coop with 9 pullets from ranging from 10-20 weeks. 11.5’x13’.
1 — 21 weeks
4 — 16 weeks
3 — 12 weeks
1 — 9 weeks
1 cockerele (sapphire super blue) keeping for the blue gene

5 hens (10 months) in the smaller coop about 8’x10’ with the rooster.

One of mine did a really hard molt the beginning of December, she also developed Egg Peritonitis a week later and ultimately died from internal bleeding. Was just completely tragic and heart breaking.

Is it just one rooster or two?

With such a vast range of ages I wouldn't rush integration, nor would I currently move hens around. Are your two coops close together so they are familiar with each other?

Is it just one rooster or two?

With such a vast range of ages I wouldn't rush integration, nor would I currently move hens around. Are your two coops close together so they are familiar with each other?
One grown rooster in the smaller coup with the 5 hens... yes they are close within 5 or 6 feet. What is the risk of leaving them as they are? Is the best option to take the rooster out of he picture?

It will all depend on the feather wearing. You are in Texas so missing feathers isn't as bad this time of year, but generally it will get worse as we approach spring. Hormones will surge and production and mating will increase. Your hens will remain bareback until next fall if it reaches that point.

I personally would make a pen where you can remove the rooster for a while but he's still next to or in the coop so he can still interact. Young roosters can be vigorous in their mating. I generally see some feather wearing in my hens over the summer months. You will have to watch for rips or sores on the skin if it becomes exposed. Keeping the roosters nails and spurs trimmed can help minimize damage.

It's your choice on what to do with him. He will slow down a bit as he matures but that generally takes 2 years, so I always like giving my hens a break from any rooster that is too much.

Back
Top Bottom