Winter must haves and efficient cleaning systems

I use two small black rubber bowls as I don't have electricity either. Most days, even in very very cold weather, such as -10, this will work.

Fill one bowl, water birds, next day, flip that bowl upside down in the sun, and fill the second bowl. Even in very cold weather, if it is sunny, the black will absorb enough heat, that the ice chunk falls out. Next day, flip the empty bowl and add water, flip the frozen bowl.

Works great...until you get deep cloudy days, and then you have to stomp out the ice. My crazy birds, will devour those ice chips... go figure.

Mrs K

I use two small black rubber bowls as I don't have electricity either. Most days, even in very very cold weather, such as -10, this will work.

Fill one bowl, water birds, next day, flip that bowl upside down in the sun, and fill the second bowl. Even in very cold weather, if it is sunny, the black will absorb enough heat, that the ice chunk falls out. Next day, flip the empty bowl and add water, flip the frozen bowl.

Works great...until you get deep cloudy days, and then you have to stomp out the ice. My crazy birds, will devour those ice chips... go figure.

Mrs K
Glad to hear there are still effective watering options without electricity! I had been getting worried.

The black rubber bowls work well, if you have a small flock, and can change them out two or three times daily in really cold weather. Also, roosters with big wattles can get frozen wattles dipping them in the water dish, and of course small birds landing in that water will not do well getting soaked in cold weather.
Mary

The black rubber bowls work well, if you have a small flock, and can change them out two or three times daily in really cold weather. Also, roosters with big wattles can get frozen wattles dipping them in the water dish, and of course small birds landing in that water will not do well getting soaked in cold weather.
Mary
I can probably change the water in the black rubber bowls in the early AM, after work at 4, and then before bed. I usually keep water in the coop overnight.

Back
Top Bottom