Winter-proofing duck coop

My husband put a roof on yesterday. We are going to get some straw today to make a place for them to bed down in. Unfortunately, they don’t always do what we expect of them. I may end up having to spread hay all over to guarantee they will lay on it to stay warm. We are already getting freeze advisories here, but they are doing a good job at staying warm. At what point do you take water away from them at night when it is cold? It will soon be getting darker at 5, so I don’t want them to go 14 hours without water.
By 7 to 8 weeks old I don't provide water at night. I also never lock my older Ducks in at night. They either go into the house or sleep in the corner bed of straw. My runs also have roofs.

I always give them water at night because I feed them at night. They usually finish the feed within 20 minutes though, so I’m not sure if they even touch the water the rest of the night. I may start giving them feed earlier, then taking the water once they are finished. Thank you for your help!

I always give them water at night because I feed them at night. They usually finish the feed within 20 minutes though, so I’m not sure if they even touch the water the rest of the night. I may start giving them feed earlier, then taking the water once they are finished. Thank you for your help!
I free feed and water my Ducks outside 24/7. They do as they please. Young Birds that I lock in at night get nothing till morning after 7 or 8 weeks.

Sand doesn't hold heat very well. I'd get straw or pine bedding instead.

Second, I'd remove the plastic. Ventilation is very important. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/

Third, check for drafts. You don't want any entrances facing the wind, and you don't want any ventilation holes directly across from each other. You want to achieve the happy medium between too much air movement (no chance for the ducks to warm up the air around them) and too little (ammonia and moisture buildup)

Fourth, put a sheltered area behind your coop so that you can keep the water outside. (If you haven't already done that) Water in the coop is a bad thing in winter.

And don't worry about it too much. Ducks are half-feathers (seriously; try plucking a duck carcass. They're equipped with the equivalent of two heavy winter coats.) Mine are perfectly happy at zero Fahrenheit or lower, so long as they have a nice, dry floor and a windblock. And lots of food, the feathered pigs.
Thank you for the suggestions. We have 2 Pekin and 2 khaki Campbell ducks. We had a chicken coop at the house we bought last year so they have a house and a run/pen. I put shavings down but for winter I continue adding a lot of straw inside the house but also all over the pen outside so they don't have to stand/walk in/on snow. Neighbors noticed a coyote watching them 1 afternoon last week for about 20 minutes. Any suggestions of how to keep coyotes away? They (Coyotes) even peed on the outside of the duck house door!!!😳😳

Back
Top Bottom