Winter pullets?

Grampy7

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Greater Dayton, OH Zone 6a
I've had hens for about 10 years now, mostly for our own egg source. I've had as many as 25 at one time, but as life has happened, right now my flock has aged out and I'm down to two which lay when they feel like it. I found a guy with month old pullets for sale for a fair price, but it's the dead of winter and I have no other place for them but the unheated coop. Are they too young, and what is the minimum age for winter survival?

If you buy enough of them, they can keep themselves warm by huddling up. If they have enough feathering on them they should be fine.

inCollage_20200102_140930386.jpg

Where are you located? What kind of temperatures does winter mean for you, especially your possible extremes? Normal or average days or nights is not when you would typically have problems.

Most chicks feather out around 4 to 5 weeks of age. One they are feathered out they can handle cold temperatures pretty well, but there can be limits. There is a difference in -20 F and +30 F. They need to be out of a breeze also, protected form wind. It also helps if they have been acclimated, exposed to cold so they can get used to it.

With month old pullets and two old hens you also have to consider integration. I don't know what your facilities look like but you probably need a way to separate them, at least for a while.

It may be a great opportunity for you, it may be pretty challenging. I don't know enough about your situation to know which.

I realized I should have included my location after the original post. I'm in southwest Ohio, greater Dayton area, zone 6A. At this point I've arranged for a dozen Australorpe pullets in May, after I add on to the existing coop.
My run is comprised of three 10'X10' chain link dog runs and a 5'X 12' roofed area. The current sleeping coop area is 3'X5' and the additional size will be to that part. I'm still undecided about the size of the addition. At least another 14 square feet.
Thanks to those who replied.

I realized I should have included my location after the original post. I'm in southwest Ohio, greater Dayton area, zone 6A. At this point I've arranged for a dozen Australorpe pullets in May, after I add on to the existing coop.
My run is comprised of three 10'X10' chain link dog runs and a 5'X 12' roofed area. The current sleeping coop area is 3'X5' and the additional size will be to that part. I'm still undecided about the size of the addition. At least another 14 square feet.

hi from Western Ohio! Getting them in May, when you have more space sounds like a good idea. Will they be baby chicks or older?

hi from Western Ohio! Getting them in May, when you have more space sounds like a good idea. Will they be baby chicks or older?

Howdy neighbors! I'm in the Dayton area also!

Depending in how those chain link sections are arranged that could be enough run. In the Dayton area with 14 chicken I don't think that will be close to enough coop area, especially in winter when that run is not available due to weather or snow, unless you can keep snow out of that roofed area. Snow can blow in from the sides.

Back
Top Bottom