winter question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clucksbc, Nov 15, 2011.

1. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Ok...coop ventalation question...

my feathered...loved ones reside in a 4X5 coop...with one huge grated window...I have been sliding the wood up at !.2 mast...don't want my sweeties to be too cold.....
    they also have a roofed in outside...and a 10X8 run...
    My gardener/ handy helper...has been busy...and covered...the whole thing over...for winter....
    but now I am woried about ventalation...

I want my hens happy and healthy...
    how much vertalation should they have...
    with winter blizards...I would like to put up the window totally...
    but then it all seems sealed in...
    what do people do for ventalation...Know it is important for chickens..
    but how do I fix this cheeply...

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. clucksbc

Aug 9, 2011
    thanks a dozen...
    that actually really helps a lot...
    much apreciated....

4. clucksbc

Aug 9, 2011
    Psss...just checked out your websight...i have favorited it...
    what an absolutely fantastic idea...

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Did you build in other ventilation or is the window the only ventilation in the coop? If the window is the only ventilation, then you need to leave it open. They need some ventilation even in the winter. How much depends a lot of variables, so it's hard to say how much, unless we know more about your coop, like your location/weather and stocking levels. Cold won't hurt them, but a lack of ventilation will. It's not good for their respiratory systems and the excess humidity puts them at risk for frostbite.

Ventilation can be as simple as an opening cut in the wall and a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth over it. We use screws and washers to attach ours, so they can't be pulled out of the wood. I like some ventilation that's open all year round and more that can be open in really hot weather.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The way I suggest providing ventilation pretty cheaply is like WoodlandWoman said, but make that hole higher than where they roost. You don't want a breeze blowing on them in the winter. If you have a couple of decent sized openings on different walls above them when they are sleeping, you are doing real well.

Moist air can lead to frostbite, which is your enemy. Warm air rises and holds more moisture than cold air. I can't come up with anything bettter than openings above them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by