winter shelter for stray roosters

Kiasmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Hi, I have a flock of 5 stray roosters hanging around all summer. Their owner died and I guess they liked the wild bird food, so they spend most of their time around here. There are several others in another part of town. I think they were relatively young in the spring when they started hanging around as they seem to have grown quite a bit. They roost in the trees at night then come down and wander around the neighborhood and yap with my hens.

So winter is coming. Will they still roost in the trees with the leaves gone? What sort of shelter can I build them to give them a place to go when it gets cold and windy? I was thinking of something with 3 sides...but I have to wonder if that will be enough for the nighttime when they like to be up high. Just looking for some suggestions on how to make their winter a little more comfy. Thanks

P.S this is one of them in my avatar. They like the jungle gym I made for the wild birds as well. :)

Last edited:
what a great idea. I happen to have two 55 gallon barrels that I bought to collect rain water but didn't get around to hooking them up. I can set them up with some straw I guess and that will at least keep them out of the wind and ice.

what a great idea. I happen to have two 55 gallon barrels that I bought to collect rain water but didn't get around to hooking them up. I can set them up with some straw I guess and that will at least keep them out of the wind and ice.
Maybe you could get a dog crate or 55g barrel, people sell the blue and white 55g barrels around here for $10, just cut out a hole and maybe make a stand for it.
Wow, that sounds pretty cold. Maybe think more About it.

I think they will roost in the trees unless they are fenced into a run. Are there pine or cedar trees around? They would be enough shelter from the weather. Food will be a bigger problem for them. And water if your winters get below freezing without snow, maybe with snow too.

Wow, that sounds pretty cold. Maybe think more About it.

I think they will roost in the trees unless they are fenced into a run. Are there pine or cedar trees around? They would be enough shelter from the weather. Food will be a bigger problem for them. And water if your winters get below freezing without snow, maybe with snow too.
Ancient thread alert.

Back
Top Bottom