Protecting run in winter

Pics

Henny Wrenny

Chirping
Jun 9, 2022
I live in WNY near Buffalo. We get very cold, snowy winters. It’s also very windy. This is my first winter with chickens. I know this is a basic question but when do you put plastic around the run? Is it according to temperature, weather, or just time of year like November? I want them to use this run all winter if possible. It has a solid roof but all the sides are just HWC. Thank you!

Attachments

• chicken-gc20a05e4f_640.jpg
    chicken-gc20a05e4f_640.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 181
I do not live in Buffalo nor do I portend that my winters are that harsh, but I do like plastic on the sides of my run when it rains. Just make sure there is some ventilation. I cover 3 sides and leave the side opposite the prevailing wind open. The humidity needs somewhere to go. If not, it can contribute to frostbite.

I'm in NYC, and I already have plastic around 4.5 sides of the run. Half the roof is covered.

The problem hasn't so much been temperature as wind down here, plus the fact that one is having a pretty serious molt. We've had a couple nights in the 40s, but the wind chill makes it worse.

When it gets to be real winter (I'm thinking first frost), I'll cover the rest of the roof. I am also putting a baffle of sorts in front of the coop pop door, as that will always remain open. The half side not covered will likely remain that way for ventilation.

I'm in a totally different climate, but I put my wind baffle on the Open Air Coop up for Hurricane Ian and see no point in taking it back down only to put it back up in 6 weeks when it starts getting truly chilly. :D

But beware of the greenhouse effect from clear plastic (my wind-baffle is a solid tarp), if you're still getting days when sun the car windows could make it excessively warm in there. :)

This is very helpful. How do you have the clear tarps attached? How do you reinforce it?
The reinforcement is part of the poly sheeting.
I put snaps on the sheeting and run just to hold the tarps in place until I could screw ripped down deck boards over all of the vertical framing members. The tarps will be going into their fourth season of service next month.

I made some solid panels out of the scraps left from the roof I put over half my run. That covers the west (prevailing wind) side of that half of the run. I use clear shower curtains over the rest of the west side, around the corner to the south, and most of the north side. The east side is about 6 feet from the side of the garage, so it gets very little wind.

This will be the third year for those shower curtains. The metal grommets hold up really well. I tie it up with zip ties and drape the excess length on the ground. Piles of raked up leaves hold it down until the snow anchors it.

when do you put plastic around the run? Is it according to temperature, weather, or just time of year like November?
If you see them panting and being too hot on sunny afternoons, it is too soon to wrap the run in plastic.

If you see them hanging out inside the coop because the run is miserable, it is definitely time to wrap it.

Anything in between works fine, or just pick a date that works for you.

And, as other people have said, make sure you leave enough ventilation that it doesn't turn into a hot greenhouse. You don't really want it warm, just dry and not windy, so the chickens' own feathers can keep them warm effectively.

Back
Top Bottom