Protecting run in winter

I bought cloth Tarps from harbor freight a couple of months ago. They have the bungee/tie down eyes, but rather that hang them using the eyes, I sandwiched the top and bottom of the tarps with 1 x 2 strips. Then I fastened the top to the coop under the eave. Now, I just roll up the bottom to open up the coop sides as much as I want and loop a rope to hold the roll. Although this is Georgia, we have forecast winds at 30 mph tonight. With rain coming with the cold front, i can drop the curtains in about 15 seconds per side.

I live in WNY near Buffalo. We get very cold, snowy winters. It’s also very windy. This is my first winter with chickens. I know this is a basic question but when do you put plastic around the run? Is it according to temperature, weather, or just time of year like November? I want them to use this run all winter if possible. It has a solid roof but all the sides are just HWC. Thank you!
I’m in UP MI. Its been rainy and cold, some snow. Most storms come from NW. Last week I wrapped the run with clear vinyl shower curtains on all sides. I got the heavy duty ones with metal grommets and secured with zip ties and 1x2 to keep it from whipping and billowing. I left 6 inches at the top for ventilation plus I have the the east facing pop/door and gable end not wrapped.
Just in time, too. We are under winter storm and prepping for 16-24 inches of snow :tongue
A986BFA4-94E9-46BE-9532-ECD214004408.jpeg

282FF7BF-BC87-4B70-9C76-039A6DA7CAED.jpeg

@NorthwoodsChick , where did you find those really clear shower curtains? The best I could do was almost clear!
Meijers in Michigan. I bet Walmart or Target has them, too.

Here’s a link. I got 5 gauge. I don’t know how it will hold up in freezing temps but I have a roll of classy classic grey duct tape ready to go JIC 😊

Attachments

• 675BEDE4-16E2-4077-B095-539A8F42494B.png
    675BEDE4-16E2-4077-B095-539A8F42494B.png
    613.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
*waves* from southern finger lakes.
If there is anything that will keep them in the run, I'd love to hear it. My Woods style coop is in the only open bit of the back yard. Now that it is fall, they're forever hopping the fence to get up in front of the coop where the sun is strongest and also come up to the back door and crow/stare for treats.
I got some cheap hay that got too moist for fodder that I was going to use for wind breaks but I am not sure there is any point if the under coop is already too cool.

Lots of good ideas. I'm in south Carolina near center of the state so we only see snow every 4-5 yrs. We normally have nights in January/February in the teens so I want to have something for then. Here's my solution which I actually put up this week as the freak system moved here dropping temps at or near freezing early this week. My coop sits inside my run which is attached on one side to a workshop. Two of the other sides get a good deal of sun so to give the girls some shade I installed curtain rods and used curtains that were for my old gazebo so outdoor rated. This week I went to dollar general and picked up clear plastic shower curtains and added those so the cloth curtains are on the outside and the plastic becomes an insulator. Since the are on rods using shower curtain rings (heavy duty ones) I can still open them or close as needed as our weather has changed back to normal ( 60-70 days 40-50 nights). The also leave about 6-8 inches at the bottom since they weren't quite long enough so there is airflow even if they are closed (note see pic of my run which has cinderblocks 2 high around the bottom, curtains stop above the top of the cinderblocks so even if its windy my girls are wind free at ground level:D).

Attachments

• 20220612_193201.jpg
    20220612_193201.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I am amazed that no one has said that you don't need to enclose everything in plastic. Chickens have down feathers underneath their other feathers (ever worn a down coat or slept under a down comforter?) and also a body temp of 105-106 degrees F. Do you see wild birds outside with their feathers fluffed up after a snow? They can take cold temperatures and so can your chickens. Some birds migrate south for the winter, not because of the cold, but because they don't have a food supply if they are insect or nectar feeders.

The large run I have attached to the coop has a piece of plywood across the roof wire at one end to keep the coop pop door relatively clear of snow. The coop provides protection from the west wind and there is 18" high board running around the bottom of the pen to keep out the wind (and as a frame for the wire).

Just make sure they have shelter from the wind and drinkable water. Also nice to toss some wood chips, hay or what have you over the snow so they can keep their tootsies warm outside. In the coop they squat down on the roost bar and cover their feet with their warm feathers.

Back
Top Bottom