Protecting run in winter

I live in WNY near Buffalo. We get very cold, snowy winters. It’s also very windy. This is my first winter with chickens. I know this is a basic question but when do you put plastic around the run? Is it according to temperature, weather, or just time of year like November? I want them to use this run all winter if possible. It has a solid roof but all the sides are just HWC. Thank you!
We put a heavy plastic barrier around our chicken run and coop area. It worked well last year. I don’t like not really being able to watch them in the run, which I do enjoy, but their wellbeing is the most important thing to us.

We put a heavy plastic barrier around our chicken run and coop area. It worked well last year. I don’t like not really being able to watch them in the run, which I do enjoy, but their wellbeing is the most important thing to us.
I purchased a tarp that is white and partially see thru..reinforced and strong. It has grommets and I used cuphooks to cover the “run” that’s on the first floor. The nesting boxes and roost is enclosed and above. I also use a movable run for outside that I have a silver tarp over so that they have protection from hawks and green snow free ground when they cannot free range. I put them inside at night. The tarp is a great windbreak. I have Christmas lights in a tube that I leave wrapped around the roost. It seems to keep the house from freezing and girls are happy even when wind blows and I have to shovel out to feed and water. I’m in CT.

I am amazed that no one has said that you don't need to enclose everything in plastic. Chickens have down feathers underneath their other feathers (ever worn a down coat or slept under a down comforter?) and also a body temp of 105-106 degrees F. Do you see wild birds outside with their feathers fluffed up after a snow? They can take cold temperatures and so can your chickens. Some birds migrate south for the winter, not because of the cold, but because they don't have a food supply if they are insect or nectar feeders.

The large run I have attached to the coop has a piece of plywood across the roof wire at one end to keep the coop pop door relatively clear of snow. The coop provides protection from the west wind and there is 18" high board running around the bottom of the pen to keep out the wind (and as a frame for the wire).

Just make sure they have shelter from the wind and drinkable water. Also nice to toss some wood chips, hay or what have you over the snow so they can keep their tootsies warm outside. In the coop they squat down on the roost bar and cover their feet with their warm feathers.
True for most, however not all. The reason I wrapped my run is because I have constant wind and updraft as I am on a high bluff. Predominant wind is W-NW but due to topography wind direction is erratic, rain comes from SW, snow drifts up bad on E, so I end up with a wet run and wet chickens..not ideal at all.
On my set up (see earlier post w pics) I have the South side covered with plastic for winter, but I can roll it up a little or a lot like a roman shade on sunny and non snowy days. I have double roof on coop and open high gables on run… it is still breezy in the run but at least its dry.

We're in our third year of our run being wrapped in 6mil plastic dropcloth from HomeDepot. We fasten the sheeting using lathe wood strips and screwing them over the sheeting wherever there is an upright. For visibility the side of the run facing our windows uses the Suntuf polycarbonate panel leftovers we had which allows us to see the girls, not perfectly but enough for remotely roll call from our windows :)

The roof is completely open right now, just a double layer of that thick green garden netting over the top to protect them from the hawks in our area.

Inside the run we have a prefab coop that we've reinforced with more polycarbonate panel, so that in the winter they have two layers of wind protection.

On super cold nights, I will go out there with a jug of salty water and leave it under the coop to let the heat rise up and give them a reprieve. This year we're going to try the "black bucket of water/sand" trick to passively solar gain during the day. Since our driveway sealer came in black 5gal sizes, why not? Better than tossing those all away.

Located in a hilly central Connecticut location.

311999737_1668582490225634_3885489003921085770_n.jpg

I'm between Buffalo and Rochester and this weekend is supposed to get near 70 again. I would probably wait till the temps are going to stay lower. Plastic will act as an insulator and possibly make it too hot for now.

Good point.

I'm in the south, but I'd guess that a good indicator would be to beware the greenhouse effect in your plastic-wrapped run in any weather where a car sitting in the sun could get uncomfortably/dangerously hot.

We're in our third year of our run being wrapped in 6mil plastic dropcloth from HomeDepot. We fasten the sheeting using lathe wood strips and screwing them over the sheeting wherever there is an upright. For visibility the side of the run facing our windows uses the Suntuf polycarbonate panel leftovers we had which allows us to see the girls, not perfectly but enough for remotely roll call from our windows :)

The roof is completely open right now, just a double layer of that thick green garden netting over the top to protect them from the hawks in our area.

Inside the run we have a prefab coop that we've reinforced with more polycarbonate panel, so that in the winter they have two layers of wind protection.

On super cold nights, I will go out there with a jug of salty water and leave it under the coop to let the heat rise up and give them a reprieve. This year we're going to try the "black bucket of water/sand" trick to passively solar gain during the day. Since our driveway sealer came in black 5gal sizes, why not? Better than tossing those all away.

Located in a hilly central Connecticut location.

View attachment 3298106
Can you explain the method for the sand/water?

We use the clear vinly sheeting that comes in rolls, and double it up on the open walls of our roofed run area, leaving at least a foot open at the top. It will go up soon, depending on the weekend weather when DS does the ladder part of the project.
View attachment 3294829
This is the south side, and the east side is also done, just on the lower six feet of the wall. The north and west sides are solid walls, and that little window also gets covered, because some birds roost just inside it.
Those plastic panels look great, but are much more expensive than this. And the sheet vinyl lives a couple of winters.
I would like to find actually clear sheet vinyl, but so far no luck. This coop and run get some heat gain from the sun, so it's often not as chilly as outside.
Mary
I've found clear 6ml vinyl table cloth covers on line in many different sizes. I'm very happy with them as I couldn't find 6ml vinyl in the sizes I needed and at an affordable price!

Back
Top Bottom