Winter Solstice Celebration, do you partake?

Do you celebrate the Winter Solstice?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I recognize it, don't celebrate it

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • What is the Winter Solstice?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Christmas isn't really pagan, but it 'evolved' from pagan observances and uses many of the 'devices'...Yule log, pine trees, St. Nick, etc.

I had a very interesting discussion with a theology student I worked with when I pointed that out.

I don't really celebrate with anything special,
but have always observed the '8th' holidays as points in the cycle of nature.
View attachment 2433142
I didn’t really mean Christmas was pagan, I just used sloppy rhetoric lol; I was just realizing myself how many things had been borrowed from Paganism. I feel that many people don’t realize that fact. (I didn’t)

Ive never acknowledged any other eight holidays except spring solstice. As a gardener though I’ve been more drawn to the old traditions because they just make so much more sense as a means to celebrate the natural cycles of the earth, seasons, growing, harvesting, life, death, etc.. Most that I know, I’ve learned today. I went down the rabbit hole.

Oh, I missed this thread. Shame. I just found it looking for something else.

I'm hella pagan and I celebrate intensely every year. Some things we do;

Burn a yule log all night
Have a feast
Sing carols
Give gifts
Dawn prayers
Make a goddess spiral
Drink (lol)
Usually party with a lot of friends (not so much this year)

Solstice is tomorrow. I hope we all have a great time!

I've dealt with SAD (seasonal affective disorder) for a few years. As the days get shorter, I spend more time with my light box. This is my first winter with my flock, and I push myself to greet them every morning at sunrise. Not easy in the cold, but it helps to go outside and see the sky getting lighter. And a floofy flock ready to start their day.

I mark the winter solstice with a smile knowing the days will get longer and brighter.

While I know about solstice, and your plans sound amazing, I can't see myself celebrating. Days may be getting longer, but Jan-Mar are the coolest months here by far, and it's the cold I dislike more than the lack of sunlight! Now, if solstice came in Feb. . .

Oh, I missed this thread. Shame. I just found it looking for something else.

I'm hella pagan and I celebrate intensely every year. Some things we do;

Burn a yule log all night
Have a feast
Sing carols
Give gifts
Dawn prayers
Make a goddess spiral
Drink (lol)
Usually party with a lot of friends (not so much this year)

Solstice is tomorrow. I hope we all have a great time!
This sounds wonderful! I have to work the next day or I probably would have a real good time, but as it is I still have buttered rum in the slow cooker :) I made a "Hunter's Pie" (shepherd's pie with venison) last night and it's ready to go in the oven when I get home. It's made with homegrown veggies (I thought it was appropriate). I also did the first rise and shaped some rolls that I'll bake. I have a roommate, my boyfriend, and one friend coming over. We'll light some candles and say what we are looking forward to in the next year, eat, play cards, and enjoy each other's company. I wish we could have exchanged some gifts, but I just ran out of time doing stressful Christmas preparations.

This is what I celebrate....

Length of day changes ahead:
12-20 lose 3 seconds
12-21 lose 2 seconds
12-22 gain 4 seconds
12-23 gain 9 seconds
12-24 gain 11 seconds
12-25 gain 16 seconds
12-26 gain 21 seconds
12-27 gain 34 seconds

Exactly my reasons for celebrating. I just never feel like I acclimate to the short days.
While I know about solstice, and your plans sound amazing, I can't see myself celebrating. Days may be getting longer, but Jan-Mar are the coolest months here by far, and it's the cold I dislike more than the lack of sunlight! Now, if solstice came in Feb. . .

I feel you. Those are our coldest months too, BUT I'm usually starting my summer seedlings indoors mid February for onions and the end of February for peppers. I'm usually doing a lot of prepping in those cold days!
I've dealt with SAD (seasonal affective disorder) for a few years. As the days get shorter, I spend more time with my light box. This is my first winter with my flock, and I push myself to greet them every morning at sunrise. Not easy in the cold, but it helps to go outside and see the sky getting lighter. And a floofy flock ready to start their day.

I mark the winter solstice with a smile knowing the days will get longer and brighter.

Ditto. One of the many reasons I love my birds is that they rely on me to love them and take care of them. No matter how much I want to lay in bed, I know I've got to get moving for them! They've really hated the snow the last few days. Poor girls.

1608561329370.png

Much as I prefer summer to winter, this time of year is a reflective time for me. As I've gotten older, I realize how very lucky I am. I've also learned not to wish time away (I can't wait for ... spring, summer, whatever), because time passes quickly enough on its own.

There was a story book my grandmother gave me called "The Happy Owls," by Celestino Piatti. I loved the watercolor illustrations as a small child. I read it to a little girl I was babysitting when I was a teenager. When I was done, I realized what a beautiful story it was.

Thanks, Grandma.

Back
Top Bottom