Winter Solstice Celebration, do you partake?

Do you celebrate the Winter Solstice?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I recognize it, don't celebrate it

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • What is the Winter Solstice?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year, usually on December 21st. I've never celebrated it before, but this year I am looking forward to the day because each day after will grow a little longer. Soon it will be a new year and spring again! The Year 2020 has been rough. I feel tired of the December tradition of spending money for gifts that people don't use. I feel drawn to a simple celebration of better things to come! (More daylight, for one!) This year I was thinking of having a festive meal, maybe light a candle to welcome the sun. We may exchange some simple gifts representing nature, or not. Do you celebrate the Winter Solstice? If so, how?

Last edited:
We have celebrated it off and on throughout the years in our family. It sorta depends if I think ahead in order to plan for it. When we have celebrated it in past years, we would move our dinner table near the fireplace, and make a 'white dinner' (all white foods like tofu, mashed potatoes, and cauliflower) and dress in all white clothes. Candles and oranges decorate the table. Our kids got a kick out of that when they were younger.

But I'm often not that organized, so we simply recognize it without really celebrating it.

We have celebrated it off and on throughout the years in our family. It sorta depends if I think ahead in order to plan for it. When we have celebrated it in past years, we would move our dinner table near the fireplace, and make a 'white dinner' (all white foods like tofu, mashed potatoes, and cauliflower) and dress in all white clothes. Candles and oranges decorate the table. Our kids got a kick out of that when they were younger.

But I'm often not that organized, so we simply recognize it without really celebrating it.
I don't have kids but I thought this would be such a cool thing to do with kids. Also in researching winter solstice celebrations, I realized just how pagan Christmas is, except Christmas is about money money money these days. Christmas is always so stressful for me, and I thought this would be a cool low-stress way to have some fun and look forward to (literally) brighter days to come! All white is a very cool idea! I was thinking a "from the earth" meal with Venison stew (full of homegrown potatoes, carrots, and winter kale), and maybe some pumpkin-based dessert since I have so many pumpkins.

I always had looked to Dec. when the days started getting lighter, and I would look at a web site that told how many min longer a day I would get. It has not really bothered me this year, I X-country ski alot, (we have snow here.) I was actually surprised when I saw at the time, just one more month til the days get lighter.

I always had looked to Dec. when the days started getting lighter, and I would look at a web site that told how many min longer a day I would get. It has not really bothered me this year, I X-country ski alot, (we have snow here.) I was actually surprised when I saw at the time, just one more month til the days get lighter.
Every year I hate the short days more and more! So I look forward to the solstice more and more! I figured, why not celebrate the day I actually look forward to?

I think to prepare, we are going to make a few wreaths from the pine trees in our backyard, and maybe go into the woods and dig up a baby pine for our more "traditional" Yule tree. I work on the actual solstice, or I'd do those things on that day.

Before dinner we will turn off all the lights out in the house. I bought some beeswax candles, and I'll sit one taller pillar candle to represent the sun and two shorter ones on a table. Prior to lighting I'll just briefly explain the solstice, that the candles represent the coming of longer days, then light the sun candle and the two smaller ones. We will each have a tapered candle, and before lighting our individual candles, explain what we look forward to in the coming year. Beeswax candles by the way are the only candles that don't release funky fumes, and actually release negative ions which sorta clean the air. They are also all natural and smell nice, which kinda goes with the solstice theme. Then I'll leave the candles lit, and serve a hearty "winter" meal with venison stew, potatoes, and carrots, and a pumpkin "yule" log (which is really a pumpkin roll!) I have all of those things in my freezer/cellar. After dinner we will go out to our fire pit where there will be a yule log (just a big log). We can write down our wishes for next year, put them on the log, and light it. Then we will just enjoy the fire and maybe sip some mulled wine :) I know it sounds a little crazy, but it's good to have some fun. Other than the candles, a good meal and a hot fire are pretty normal in our household.

Here's some resources I've gathered:

Last edited:
I realized just how pagan Christmas is,
Christmas isn't really pagan, but it 'evolved' from pagan observances and uses many of the 'devices'...Yule log, pine trees, St. Nick, etc.

I had a very interesting discussion with a theology student I worked with when I pointed that out.

I don't really celebrate with anything special,
but have always observed the '8th' holidays as points in the cycle of nature.
1606859904044.png

Back
Top Bottom