Winter temperatures

kackland

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Nebraska
I have 2 call ducks that I got this spring, it's starting to get colder and colder during the nights ranging from 30 depress to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Do they need a heat lamp on at night? I have one on them now that they are separated ( one is plucking the others feathers out ) I have a heat lamp on them that is for both cages. I'm new to ducks so I'm not sure what kind of light they need, they have a pen outside that they go in during the day and at night they are in the garage in a rabbit hutch. What else can I do to keep them warm, or how much light/warmth do they need?

Many folks have ducks that are winter hardy, but that can mean a number of things.

My runners thrive in temperatures no lower than 40F at night, and do fine above freezing, or even in the mid 20s on sunny days.

They need lots of dry bedding, plenty of food and fresh water, and you need to watch them. Calls are so small, I would aim to keep them 40F minimum. I hope call owners check in here.

I think the most important thing is to provide shelter for them. We usually do a thick bedding of either pine shavings or straw in their shelters. The ducks actually do better than the chickens in cold climates. Here we only get to -5 or so on our coldest nights. The ducks will huddle together for warmth and do very well.

My Pekins, WH always did just fine in severely cold temps(-10 F?) with windblock(straw bales )and straw bedding and I just got a free dog house off cl that I will cut the bottom off of(gross) and use that for their housing(the dog house, short, will be in their kennel with tarp over whole thing). They come to the kennel at night as thats their routine so its generally easy to just go out and shut them in after dark(am down to 1 WH but hopefully find her a buddy warming unit soon)

Back
Top Bottom