Winter temps and chickens

Hi all! We live in upstate NY with our six pullets (BO, RSL and EE's). Temps are going down to close to 0 F overnight the next few nights. The coop is dry and insulated with ventilation on top. Should they be OK? I have read a lot about their cold hardiness but this will be their first experience with such cold temps.

Thank you! I'm sure I'll grow more comfortable with them out there in those temps. Once they experience it a few times! I appreciate your feedback.
No problem! Just remind yourself that chickens evolved and survived many, many years before humans started caring for them; they used to roost up in trees at night. They have a layer of down that helps kept them like little walking furnaces. One thing I do is give my girls scratch in the winter, since the digestion of the carbs helps generate heat in their bodies.

No problem! Just remind yourself that chickens evolved and survived many, many years before humans started caring for them; they used to roost up in trees at night. They have a layer of down that helps kept them like little walking furnaces. One thing I do is give my girls scratch in the winter, since the digestion of the carbs helps generate heat in their bodies.
Awesome Thanks! I may take your advice on the scratch!

The first winter is tough...and scary.
But you'll be amazed at how tough they are.

Pics of your coop, inside and out might help us help you make things better/easier.
Do you also have a weather proof(solid roof, wind blocked walls) run?

Worst part about winter here is when it rages snow storm for days and they can't go outside,
my run is not weather proof. Lots of coop space helps on those days.
I watch closely for lethargy from cold stress during prolonged extreme temps and give electrolytes/vitamins during those times. I soak up the solution with rolled oats so no wattle dipping.

Any digestion will create' heat'. Better they fill their crops at night with good a chicken ration than lower nutrition scratch grains.

The first winter is tough...and scary.
But you'll be amazed at how tough they are.

Pics of your coop, inside and out might help us help you make things better/easier.
Do you also have a weather proof(solid roof, wind blocked walls) run?

Worst part about winter here is when it rages snow storm for days and they can't go outside,
my run is not weather proof. Lots of coop space helps on those days.
I watch closely for lethargy from cold stress during prolonged extreme temps and give electrolytes/vitamins during those times. I soak up the solution with rolled oats so no wattle dipping.

Any digestion will create' heat'. Better they fill their crops at night with good a chicken ration than lower nutrition scratch grains.
Thanks. Here are some pics. It's an elevated coop. I'm wondering if we should shudder up the side windows or leave them exposed. They are at level with the roost bars. The bottom drop door we shut and lock overnight. We do not leave food or water in coop. Bedding is pine shavings, we scoop poop daily and replenish.

Attachments

• 20201213_140241.jpg
    20201213_140241.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201213_140303.jpg
    20201213_140303.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201213_140310.jpg
    20201213_140310.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201213_140324.jpg
    20201213_140324.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201213_140359.jpg
    20201213_140359.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201213_140409.jpg
    20201213_140409.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201213_140415.jpg
    20201213_140415.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201213_140420.jpg
    20201213_140420.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201213_140433.jpg
    20201213_140433.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201213_141139.jpg
    20201213_141139.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201213_141040.jpg
    20201213_141040.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 6
Your coop includes the roofed run area? You have good ventilation there, not in the enclosed building. That small upper window, at roost level, could be partially covered, with an inch or two left open on the top. If the birds will be below that level when roosting. Otherwise, where's the upper ventilation?
And are the openings where the metal roof ridges are covered with hardware cloth? If those openings go into the coop, it's a tiny amount of ventilation, but too large to keep out rodents or weasels.
Your roofed run will be great all winter, with sheet vinyl covering at least the windward sides. Leave the upper foot or so open for ventilation. Very little snow or rain will blow in on the leeward sides.
Chickens hate snow, and you won't want to be shoveling it out very often.
With those walls closed in with clear plastic sheeting, the lower doors to the closed coop section can be open all the time, much nicer for everyone, as long as it's all predator proof.
Mary

Your coop includes the roofed run area? You have good ventilation there, not in the enclosed building. That small upper window, at roost level, could be partially covered, with an inch or two left open on the top. If the birds will be below that level when roosting. Otherwise, where's the upper ventilation?
And are the openings where the metal roof ridges are covered with hardware cloth? If those openings go into the coop, it's a tiny amount of ventilation, but too large to keep out rodents or weasels.
Your roofed run will be great all winter, with sheet vinyl covering at least the windward sides. Leave the upper foot or so open for ventilation. Very little snow or rain will blow in on the leeward sides.
Chickens hate snow, and you won't want to be shoveling it out very often.
With those walls closed in with clear plastic sheeting, the lower doors to the closed coop section can be open all the time, much nicer for everyone, as long as it's all predator proof.
Mary
Thanks! We are going to partially cover the windows tomorrow. As for the roof and ridge vent, i expressed my concern to my partner and he showed me that the gap between the plywood and center beam is -1/4 inch- it looks big from the outside and side angle but it's super small- nice and predator proof but not good for ventilation! We are going to reassess the ventilation piece tomorrow as suggested. Thank you so much for looking so closely and helping us out!

Back
Top Bottom