Winter ventilation concerns

Jul 17, 2021
Northwest Iowa
This is our first year raising chickens. Now that we've gotten to fall and I've been reading articles on this, we are getting a little concerned about ventilation over the winter. Our coop is 8'x20'. On either end we have vents above the roosts (see pic). Total vent space on each side is 20" wide and about 8" tall. We have 3 screened windows that we have open right now during the day, two on one side and one on the other(pic). We also open up the front door leaving just the hardware cloth screen door. Dan made a makeshift tin covering over the outside vents at the top to keep snow out in winter (another pic). Will the vents at the top be enough when we close things up for the winter? What would you suggest? We are regularly single digit temps in mid winter, with bouts of below zero.

Attachments

• vents.png
    vents.png
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 40
  • vent-cover.png
    vent-cover.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • windows-door.png
    windows-door.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
How many chickens do you have? There should be 1 square foot of vent area that is never closed for each chicken. The vents should be above the roosts so no breeze blows on the chickens at night. Chickens make a lot of moisture in a coop with breathing and pooping. A dry chicken is a warm chicken so you need to get that moisture out.

The vents I can see in your pictures do not appear to be enough for winter. It looks as if you could add more vents to the front of the coop. Put the vents up high so the roof overhang will keep rain and snow from blowing in.

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

If you're in an area that gets severe winters you'll need to read this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult standard-sized hen and to put that ventilation above the level of the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

How many chickens do you have? There should be 1 square foot of vent area that is never closed for each chicken. The vents should be above the roosts so no breeze blows on the chickens at night. Chickens make a lot of moisture in a coop with breathing and pooping. A dry chicken is a warm chicken so you need to get that moisture out.

The vents I can see in your pictures do not appear to be enough for winter. It looks as if you could add more vents to the front of the coop. Put the vents up high so the roof overhang will keep rain and snow from blowing in.
Wow.. one square foot per chicken! And we have 26 chickens 😳 We need to put this at the top of our project list while the weather is still nice. Thanks, wamtazlady!

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

If you're in an area that gets severe winters you'll need to read this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult standard-sized hen and to put that ventilation above the level of the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
We are in northwest Iowa. I'm so glad you linked that article - it's hard to think about trying to keep them warm and also putting holes in the coop at the same time. From what I gather then, the vents at the top above the chickens will not increase "drafts", and as long as the rest of the coop is pretty tight we will be fine. In light of that, I think we are going to need to adjust our roosts so that the top roost isn't so high. Thanks, 3KillerBs!

In the second pic, it looks like there's a soffit gap around 1.5" between the roof and the wall? I'd open that entire soffit to around 5"and cover with HC.
Yes! That is a great idea. I worry about snow blowing in, but I think we are just going to have to go for it and see what happens. The back of the coop faces west, and that is where the snow blows across the field beside us into our property. So we'll probably have to leave that side as is, at least until we get more trees/shrubs planted along our property line. Thanks, mowin!

Yes! That is a great idea. I worry about snow blowing in, but I think we are just going to have to go for it and see what happens. The back of the coop faces west, and that is where the snow blows across the field beside us into our property. So we'll probably have to leave that side as is, at least until we get more trees/shrubs planted along our property line. Thanks, mowin!

It looks like you've got about a 1ft roof overhang. I wouldn't be overly concerned about blowing snow.

Just remember chickens are wearing very fluffy down jackets so they don't really suffer from the cold - it is the damp that gets to them. That means ventilation rather than warmth is key.
I did get some driving snow during a blizzard and have fitted a baffle inside which maintains the ventilation of fully open gable ends, but stops the snow falling on top of the chickens while they sleep. In theory I could close off the opening entirely but haven't seen the need to even in very cold spells. I am in Northern New Jersey - so probably less dramatically cold than you, but still plenty cold.
If it is ever really cold when you are doing chicken chores - just slip your hands under a chicken's wings - always nice and toasty!

it's hard to think about trying to keep them warm and also putting holes in the coop at the same time.

We don't need to keep chickens warm.

We need to keep them dry and out of the wind. They keep themselves warm with built-in down parkas. :)

I worry about snow blowing in, but I think we are just going to have to go for it and see what happens.

Have a look at the awnings on my Outdoor Brooder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

They're fairly redneck, but you could make something prettier if your roof overhang isn't doing the job.

Back
Top Bottom