Winter water for Coturnix

MeanCheek

Pyncheon
10 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Western Montana
Screenshot_20220104-093748_Chrome.jpg
As of right now I'm breaking iced up quail waters three times a day, then I saw this at Murdoch's and wondered if it could work?

View attachment 2949762As of right now I'm breaking iced up quail waters three times a day, then I saw this at Murdoch's and wondered if it could work?
I raised and bred/hatched a lot of quail for two years. I had over 100 at once. I was using cup style founts on my watering rig, but they were in the garage for the winter. If you can get them to use nipple water founts, which I've heard people have success doing, I would suggest a large 3 gallon heated waterer with nipples. I really like the Farm Innovators one I have: https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...Q1fJhDhednrpak2OiU_5HlrzA8HszV3IaAoVnEALw_wcB

I only have 5 adults right now, so I'm simply adding water to their feed to make a fluffy cous cous texture feed and providing straight water once a day. It seems to be working well, none of them are going crazy when the fresh water comes unlike they do when they're on dry feed and I forget to top up their water.

I only have 5 adults right now, so I'm simply adding water to their feed to make a fluffy cous cous texture feed and providing straight water once a day. It seems to be working well, none of them are going crazy when the fresh water comes unlike they do when they're on dry feed and I forget to top up their water.
Seconded. Watering their feed has greatly reduced demand for water after gorging themselves. Before doing this I had to keep two rabbit waterers for 10 quail, now just one is totally sufficient (though I'll add the second one back in during the summer).

I don't have to deal with frozen water in the morning. But for fun I've thought of ways for folks who keep a small number of quail outdoors who do. Someone ought to invent a thermos with a screw in nipple, then water will stay insulated through the night and won't freeze! Maybe add in some electrolytes or other solutes to lower the freezing point.

Just put a bird bath heater in a 2 gallon bucket with nipples.

My first winter I had mine water hooked up to a pump that kept it flowing. It worked but I reworked my water system now and have a heater in it.

Back
Top Bottom