Winter Water

KLEChickens

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
So I live in MN its going to be bitterly cold, -25 below real temp without windchill. I have 9 chickens in a 8x8x10. Its insulated but NOT heated. They've been fine so far. Food is in the coop and I have a heated water in their unwrapped run.

Now working from home I've been able to keep them locked up and run water out there 3-4x a day. Well the weekend is coming and I have young children and my spouse is leaving. Will they be okay with me offering water 2x a day(Just Saturday) AM and PM? Or should I leave the coop open so they can venture out to get water if they need too(which they don't). It stays way warmer in the coop without the door being open as I dont have a chicken door yet, it's a door for me to get in. Looking for opinions if they'll be okay with water offered 2x in one day or if I should leave the door open and they have full access to it.

You should be ok. My gals really don't drink much when it's really cold.

How well ventilated is your coop? I leave my heated waters in the coop during the winter, but I have tons of ventilation.

Which side of the building is the door on? If it faces north, it's going to let in freezing drafts if left open. Chickens really do need continual access to unfrozen water. Not knowing the details of how you keep that water from freezing, couldn't it be moved into the coop building, perhaps with a longer extension power cord?

It's so easy to cut a pop hole into the south side of your coop building. I've decided on a whim to cut a new pop hole and it took maybe an hour to install a hole and hang a little flap door over it.

You should be ok. My gals really don't drink much when it's really cold.

How well ventilated is your coop? I leave my heated waters in the coop during the winter, but I have tons of ventilation.
Its pretty ventilated, but my extention cord is frozen to the ground, so I can't move it and the freezing weather should be leaving this coming week. It would only be for Saturday they'd get water offered 2x

Which side of the building is the door on? If it faces north, it's going to let in freezing drafts if left open. Chickens really do need continual access to unfrozen water. Not knowing the details of how you keep that water from freezing, couldn't it be moved into the coop building, perhaps with a longer extension power cord?

It's so easy to cut a pop hole into the south side of your coop building. I've decided on a whim to cut a new pop hole and it took maybe an hour to install a hole and hang a little flap door over it.
My door faces Southeast and I crack it just enough for them to get in and out, I leave a large stick in there so it doesn't close.

My extension cord is frozen to the ground so I can't move their heated water dish inside. Its surrounded by straw and blocked from the wind so their water doesn't freeze and it would only be tomorrow(Saturday) that they would be offered water only 2x just because I don't have anyone to watch the kiddos.

Have you tried the salt water bottle trick?
Get a water bottle and make a highly concentrated salt to water mixture in the bottle. Cap tightly, and place in the waterer. It actually works.

Have you tried the salt water bottle trick?
Get a water bottle and make a highly concentrated salt to water mixture in the bottle. Cap tightly, and place in the waterer. It actually works.
I have not tried it. I worry about them tipping it and getting the bedding wet and the humidity it would cause.

Back
Top Bottom