winter waterer for long periods

Can you use aquarium heaters in regular bowls? I don't want to go the nipple waterer route, but I have a bunch of spare aquarium heaters I could easily use.

Can you use aquarium heaters in regular bowls? I don't want to go the nipple waterer route, but I have a bunch of spare aquarium heaters I could easily use.

I probably wouldn't do that. If the chickens see the red light when the heater is on, they might peck at the glass (or the electrical cord). If they break the glass you might end up with fried chickens.

For a regular bowl you might want to try the "Cookie Tin Heater" (search for it here). You can make one for a couple bucks with parts from Goodwill. People swear by the cookie tin heater, so they must be good.

Are you sure you don't want to use nipples. No more dirty water with the nipples.

I probably wouldn't do that. If the chickens see the red light when the heater is on, they might peck at the glass (or the electrical cord). If they break the glass you might end up with fried chickens.

For a regular bowl you might want to try the "Cookie Tin Heater" (search for it here). You can make one for a couple bucks with parts from Goodwill. People swear by the cookie tin heater, so they must be good.

Are you sure you don't want to use nipples. No more dirty water with the nipples.

Hm, hadn't thought about the light. Dang.

Yeah I definitely don't want to do nipple waterers. I want my girls to be able to dunk their heads, dip their beaks, splash around if they want to. I'm just planning on setting the water up high with rocks for the girls to perch on so they don't kick dirt into the bowls.

Back
Top Bottom