Winter Waterer Success at -17F

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
For anyone interested in heated water for winter, I just wanted to pass on that my Little Giant metal 3 gallon poultry fount with heater base is working fine at -17F. Water is not frozen even though I am.

The specs on the metal base heater state it will keep water from freezing down to +10F. For those of us living in snow country, that means mid-October. Fortunately, the metal base heater is performing much better than its specs. Last night we got down to -17F and water was not frozen this morning when I checked and temp was -9F.

For people considering heated water options for their chickens, I would have to say that I am very happy with the performance of my combo metal 3 gallon waterer and base heater.

poultry fount.jpg

Little giant base heater.jpg

I've used this for over 20 years, and it works very well. I use two, in separate areas of my coop, so if one fails, the other will be working. I have them up on concrete blocks, out of the shavings, on GFI outlets.
Mary

I will probably be buying a second combo when/if they go on sale this winter. I put my base heater on a patio block, out of the shavings, and it is on a GFI outlet like yours.

I know this combo is not the cheapest option, but it sure has worked good for me. Also, if anyone is interested in buying these items, I did not get mine from Amazon. My local farm store sells them for cheaper than Amazon plus I got them on an additional sale at my farm store. The Amazon links I provided where for information on these items.

Good to hear! We have the same combo, and it is working well! It is our first year with this water system - last year we used a heated dog bowl.

Back
Top Bottom