Winter winds

20191123_135200.jpg

I just put up the run cover today. Dollar store clear shower curtains. Here are a few pictures. They are very flimsy. But i tape them to the boards and do a full wrap. The East facing wall will remain open. This really gives them shelter. This worked well last year. And they remain clear all winter.

Attachments

• 20191123_122805.jpg
    20191123_122805.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20191123_135204.jpg
    20191123_135204.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 14
View attachment 1965772
I just put up the run cover today. Dollar store clear shower curtains. Here are a few pictures. They are very flimsy. But i tape them to the boards and do a full wrap. The East facing wall will remain open. This really gives them shelter. This worked well last year. And they remain clear all winter.
They will last a few years. I still have mine from last year and they’re in great shape.

We dropped into the high 20s at night last week with 25mph north winds. I stapled heave mil plastic to the north side for a wind block. The ends and south sides were open. I could stand in the coop with no jacket on and not be chilled to the bone by the wind. Yea, it really takes wind chill out of consideration and any blowing snow or rain. The very two things that can hurts birds.
1. Wet
2. Draft

I made some panels with wood frames and clear plastic. They get screwed to the run in the fall, removed and stored in the spring. I didn’t do the whole covered run, just enough to block the prevailing wind, and they still let light in.
When it’s swirling they just go back inside, or huddle in the protected corner. I have one feeder in the coop, and one in the run. The heated dog bowl stays outside in the run.

An update. We had wind, snow and rain last night. One of the boards holding the curtain in place came loose. I think i was rushing when i first installed it. Hopefully it is better now. I added the vertical boards. That should prevent the wind from making them flap. More snow coming tonight.

Attachments

• JPEG_20191202_142217_5534852975343645794.jpg
    JPEG_20191202_142217_5534852975343645794.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 8
I cut fabric for furniture for a living, and my machine takes a heavy, clear plastic. I rolled some of that off and covered the south and west sides of the run, along with the small space under the coop they hang out in. Then I took cute scraps of fabric and covered the windows with it, allowing some air to come thru, but not the gusts. I left the vents at the top of the coop open for ventilation. I have also added a 2x4 on top of their roosting bar so their bellies can cover their feet when they roost.

Now, tonight, there are 50 mph winds here and it’s like 25 degrees considering the winds. So, I hauled the chicken tractor into the garage, threw some worms and sunflower seeds in there, and they went right in. Closed the door for the night, and now I’ll be able to sleep well knowing my babies aren’t in those winds. This is my first winter with my babies, and I only had one to molt (my silver laced wyandotte) and she still doesn’t have all of her feathers back. May not be ideal, but they won’t freeze to death in there.

Back
Top Bottom