Wintering Chickens in Iowa

Some chickens are very finicky about walking on even the slightest bit of snow -- one thing you can do is toss a thin layer of straw or hay over the snow in at least part of the run. Last year my flock was one of those finicky bunches, they would line up at the pop door and watch me come out with a bale after a fresh snow...then leap frog from spot to spot as I got it scattered like a bunch of kids playing "don't touch the lava".

If it's their first snow, I'll help them out and shovel a path in the snow or bring the feed inside but after a few days, they will be anxious to get outside. You might want to consider covering part of the run so they have a dry spot outside.

well hooray they out today. Their whole run is covered so that is why they only have light dusting. and I have a sand base for easier clean up. at least some are still laying. Thanks for your help this is my first winter with the mix match of breeds and I guess we will learn as we go. Somehow I feel like I have the better end of this deal. Thanks again. Pat

My worry right now is that my chickens won't come out of the coop for food or water. I don't want to add water to the coop but I am worried about them not eating and drinking for a whole day. this our first snow and we are really getting hit here in northern Ill. Their run just has a small dusting but they still won't come out. Should I shoo them all out to feed and water. Or not worry about them.

I have both food and water in the coop because i don't want to dig it out of the loads of snow we tend to get in Iowa, but my tougher chickens wander out in the show and it doesn't seem to bother them a bit!

Back
Top Bottom