wintering turkeys in North East or in the colder climates

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok another turkey question......or questions about keeping turkeys ........
I have a few different pairs or trio’s of turkeys in-which I plan on keep through out the winter to see about breeding my own baby turkey chicks if they breed naturally which I have another post about that , anyway here goes ;

Ok I live in Ma. northeast of USA which get some what cold in the winter time

my 1st question is this ;
Do you keep your turkey in an out side run type pen with small shelter for them to get out of the cold or do you have a coop or so cal dog house type in closer for them to get out of the weather

2nd Q ; how big of a pen or out side run would you place a pair or trio of turkeys in, I know the bigger the better but the min space in which you could have happy and healthy pair of turkeys .

what about an out of the weather coop or sleeping/ laying egg quarters

Ok I have 5 different breeds now ...... really not looking to sell the eggs but what If I keep 3 or 4 of the breeding pairs together what size pen or run ........( yes I know they might or would be cross breeding but this is for personal use or should I say eating

4th Q – can all turkeys with stand the colder climates weather of the northern east during the winter time

I’m sure I’ll have more questions , but that will do it for now , Thanks ya’ll

Al

I"m new to turkeys, shouldn't really field your questions, but hope you get some info from folks in the know soon.

My turkeys (which are only poults) will live outside, in a fenced in half acre or so split into two pastures with a central courtyard.. the courtyard is where the range shelter with roost, a couple of nest boxes & food will be. There is also planned nesting areas along the tree line where we will have several ornamental grasses growing. The range shelter is 2 sided (the most exposed sides) and a 3rd side will be filled in with haybales when winter hits.

Turkeys are cold hardy but in the wild they get more & more scarce the farther north you go. Some turkeys seem to NEVER want to go into a coop type situation even in the NE, others seem to learn just fine.

Not sure where I got my numbers, buy numbers on my own personal notes dictate a minimum of 40sf per turkey in an enclosed pen NOT including "coop space"... if I were to ever make them live in confined quarters, that's what I would do.

Good luck...
I also think there is a difference between heritage turkeys & regular old fast food turkeys, but I'm not sure about those differences. All I know is the books I have for turkey raising don't seem to be geared toward heritage breeds too much.

Back
Top Bottom