Winterized the coop today.

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
With the falling temps and the first possible "winter storm" forcast for the weekend, I figured it was about time. So, I put in the windows, stacked 8 bales of straw in the storage part of the coop, washed, plugged in and filled their winter waterer. (heated pet bowl) And, voila! Coop is ready! Pop door is still open to the run (which is closed at night). I'll start closing that when it gets really cold or they show no interest in going outside. Whichever comes first. They're not too thrilled with snow. Last year, though, I spread alfafa hay on the snow and then they'd go outside. I also put some on the floor of the coop - they definitely enjoyed scratching around in it! Happy winter, everyone!
smile.png

This is my first winter with birds. This morning temps around 23ish. Chicks still free ranging. Will there be a time that I shouldn't let them out or will they decide that on their own?

Alot of people free range year around. Yes, even people in cold climates. Usually the chickens decide for themselves if they want to go out or not. Mine don't like the snow - especailly after it gets deep, (Can't say as I blame them) so they choose to stay in the coop.

I live in Arkansas and just got my egg layers about three weeks ago. Not sure about what to do when it gets cold and snow, any help would be a blessing.

thanks

Bring it on. Last winter I had to use an old dog pen with a tarp over it for them during the day and my garage at night. This year They have a covered pen and their coop is almost finished. I will not miss going out every hour to emty that tarp of snow or rain.
big_smile.png

We free range ours all year, if they don't want to go out, they go in the coop. Mine eat snow, scratch around in it, skate on the ice patches, have snow ball fights, make snow angels. You know normal stuff. More often than not they are outside in the weeds or tall grass and go into the coop to lay or grab a bite to eat. If they want to go in they do. They pretty much run around and do what they want. You can act like you are making them do what you want, but really they are in control. Remarkably similar to wives actually...

Back
Top Bottom