Winterizing a 8’x10’

HoneyHillHens

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Hello!
I’m from CT and right now we are in a cold snap. At what temp should I worry about my girls? Is there anything extra I should do for them to make sure they are okay?
I have 8 Birds (2 EEs, 1 Ameraucana, 3 wyandotte and 2 Orpingtons), pine shavings for bedding and a well ventilated 8’x10’ coop. I’m afraid for them. I also should preface and say that I also do not have electricity at the coop.

They are fine, do not think warm, think dry and out of the wind.

I have had chicken do just fine, at -35, which is unbelievably cold. It was near that for a couple of days. Do you have winter wild birds? Yeah, no one is providing them with heat either.... or liquid water.

I stomp out the black rubber bowls and bring fresh warm water, and they eat the ice chips.

No need to worry and DO NOT close up the coop, more ventilation is better, keeps them drier, and dry chickens are warm.

Mrs K

Unless you're talking like artic cold they'll be fine as long as the coop is dry and well ventilated. The biggest issue is often the wind so giving them a nice place to get out of the elements is all you really need to do. We had temps a couple years ago drop to -20 and that was the only time we ever put heat out there for the girls. Just that day then back to normal.

The only reason we even bothered with the heat at all was because our girls weren't use to that. It was a freak event and normally -5 or so it about as cold as it ever gets here.

How cold does it get, realistically? If it's colder than -20, -25 or so (not including wind chill), then yes you may need to consider providing some form of heat.
Realistically? The coldest I’ve seen it is -8ish. But the coops inside is the same temp as the outside, that’s okay?

Realistically? The coldest I’ve seen it is -8ish. But the coops inside is the same temp as the outside, that’s okay?

Unless you have a bird in poor health, they should be fine even at those temperatures. Really the key is ventilation to remove moisture, and keeping drafts off the roost area so they can fluff up and trap heat against their bodies.

Back
Top Bottom