'winterizing' a coop!?

I'm in the Atlanta area, too, Hi there! My big problem last winter was dealing with frozen water. Moved our little tractor next to the house and used an extension cord to a light bulb inside a cinder block, and set the metal waterer over the top of that. It was on a gfi circuit, but I'm pushing for a better setup for this winter. The cold dampness in the coop gave one hen a touch of frostbite, again, to be solved by building a bigger, dryer coop.

To battle the heat here, dryness is the same problem - well, lack of dryness. Tarp across the run for shade, sides open for breeze. Water changes daily.

Good planning!

I was thinking about hanging a heat lamp (with a 100w bulb) at one end of the coop and just let them decide if they want to be under it or not. It will provide heat to keep the water from freezing as well.... I hope.
idunno.gif

thanks everyone! you've given us some good ideas! our girls are free range during the daytime, so they hang out under the deck. I give them some cold treats and ice water during the day. Their fave is yogurt and raspberries.
smile.png
I think that our coop will be just fine during the winter, with making sure that they have unfrozen water at all times. We might also try the heat lamp just to make sure. I can't wait until they see snow (if we get some this year!).
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom