Winterizing chicken coop?

LunaMarieWolf

Songster
Dec 31, 2018
Wister, OK
I know where I live in Arkansas, Winter is kinda mild here for right now. We have only had a few freezes but we have mostly had 40-60 F weather, some days it going up to almost 70F.

My chickens roost in a large shed my great-grandpa used for storing tools and hay. It is a hand-built wooden barn with many, but small, spacings in-between boards, a large screen covered window at the back and front of the coop, and a metal slopped roof on top. It is roughly 8 feet tall, it sloping down to 6 feet at the back.

Outside the barn is an attached covered storage area, with an open door and screen window. I keep my rabbits in there, but it turns really cold there during the winter.

This winter, I decided to cover the outside windows with old towels and blankets and it keeps the cold wind out from those areas, and the water dishes do not freeze when it gets down to below 30F.

I also have some small pullets outside in the coop with them. These pullets have a small heat lamp that is secured to the wall, so it cannot fall or be broken. The pullets are separated from the other chickens for right now until it gets warmer. I also have a small light I keep out in the coop for the chickens and rabbits at night.

I was wondering if there is any more I need to do to the coop as it starts to really dip in temperature here.

If it helps, I have Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, Black Sex Links and Rhode Island Reds.

Thank you so much for reading.

If it helps, here is some photos of the inside of the barn and storage area. There are pictures of when I cleaned it out over a year ago to house the chickens. I also have some pictures taken just a few days ago.
20171229_153240.jpg
20171229_153246.jpg
20171229_153252.jpg
20181226_160554.jpg
20181226_160559.jpg
20181226_160658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom