Winterizing coop not working out

Until now the snow has been on and off so the hens are still able to go outside some days...In November I completely cleaned out the coop...the coop bedding is already stinky and really dirty . . . damp and soggy. ...it doesn't get this wet this fast in the other seasons

I snipped a lot out of the quote, to show what details jumped out at me.

--Are the chickens tracking in snow/mud, thus making the bedding soggy?
--The chickens might just be pooping INSIDE more, because they spend less time outside (and where they are, there they poop.)
--One option for winter bedding is to just keep piling more on top, then clean out the whole pile in the spring.
--I assume you've already thought of reducing the number of chickens?
--I see you said (in another post) that the waterer is there to stay, and is not spilling or leaking.
--If the birds were chicks earlier in the year, they might be larger now (and thus pooping more), which would also cause it to get dirty faster now.
--You said there are 33 chickens; how many feet each way is the coop they're in?

My best guess is tracked in snow/mud, plus all the birds pooping inside by day as well as by night.

My suggestion is either regular cleaning all winter, or piling new bedding on top regularly so the surface stays dry. (Big cleanout in the spring!)

I felt that was implied when I mentioned splashes and spills, but I 100% agree with you - an open waterer in the coop will contribute to humidity levels in the coop.
Especially if the waterer is heated.

@chickens really @MilesFluffybutt @Trevorusn @aart
View attachment 1979179
Here's my coop right now, I have 33 chickens and I know its too many for the space they have . . . I found that out the hard way after I got them. I have some containers down to collect poop at night. The water hasn't leaked or spilled at all and I can't put it outside because it gets so cold and below freezing a lot that they refuse to go out. Also, the snow will be above the run most of the winter season. I can cut as many and as big of holes in the plastic wrap as needed. The 4th wall in this picture that isn't seen is pure chicken wire and that's where most of the plastic is.
They don't go out because they don't need to. Water and food is inside. Cold will not hurt your chickens. Wet and cold will especially as crowded as they are indoors! Put the food and water in the run close to the coop. They can run in and out as needed to eat and drink. They won't be so crowded when some or all are outside. They will enjoy being out even in the cold, trust me. But if they are in wet conditions inside then cold is worse for them. Put food and water out and let them out.

Vent vent vent above their heads!

I agree with @Cryss "they don't go out because they don't need to."
Perhaps work on making their outside area more appealing. *Most* chickens do just fine in temperatures down to 10*F or colder outdoors if it is not windy on top of that.
I put food and treats outside, also the chickens are more inclined to go out if they can walk on pine shavings instead of snow, at least a bit, and I'll put down just a thin layer on top of the snow (just enough so it looks brown and not white). They also like perches outside they can climb on instead of walking in snow, which also gives them a way to warm up their feet by sitting on them. I can't tell from your pictures, but if there is NOT a light on inside during the day, it will be lighter outdoors than inside the coop, which also entices them out.

@PirateGirl @NatJ @Cryss @Trevorusn

I still think trying to get them outside isnt such a good idea because the temp in winter is usually -10*F to 20*F and the winds are neverending and brutal . . . the cold is pretty dangerous here (sometimes being outside for 5-10 minutes gives frostbite) and if i let them out in the run then theyll be a foot under snow. Im not going to be getting rid of any of them because theyre all my sweethearts and I love them all.

Here is the roof
20191210_160946.jpg

I'm not saying to force them out... but honestly, chickens can tolerate cold quite well. I speak from experience when I say this and I am not trying to misguide you, but I do live in the rocky mountains at 10,000 ft. above sea level where it is winter from October 1 through the end of May and can freeze any night of the year. I have lost chickens due to weather extremes before, but generally my chickens and ducks choose to go outside for at least part of the day nearly 365 days a year. Neither run is fully enclosed/roofed, and there has been continual snow on the ground since the beginning of October. The only birds I have lost have been young pullets (8 weeks or less) and a bird in extreme molt when ambient temperatures were below zero. We do our best here to provide wind blocks and adequate bedding as well as frequent water changes. I've only ever had moisture issues in the duck coop, because, well, ducks are wet, all the time, and also seem to enjoy the snow, which they track in their house, but honestly the biggest difference I see between the duck house and the chicken house is the design of the house itself... one thing I did not mention before is that if the door to the house does NOT face the prevailing winds you are less likely to have drafts as well as blowing snow (snow equals moisture) in your coops.

I think it is important to take into consideration BOTH the inside and outside of your coop and run when considering your moisture issue and how to winterize and best deal with the cold. If both the inside AND outside are properly winterized in some manner they chickens can use ALL of the available space in MOST weather.

Your plastic covered wire is in direct line with your roosting and swinging chickens. If you open the plastic you will putting a direct cold serious draft on them. If you don't open sufficient ventilation above their heads the coop will be soggy, wet, icy inside when it freezes, and the chickens will be damp, the is will freeze on them. Combs and wattles will get frostbite possibly causing loss of the combs and wattles, possibly losing the chicken(s). What are the dimensions of this coop including height? We can understand better with pictures and the dimensions.
I understand you love your chickens. I love mine too. I started out doing everything wrong, and I mean everything. It took me a lot of hard work, especially being 66 when I started. I took on all the advice and criticism and busted my patootie to keep my flock safe while I also worked toward major permenant changes. As much as you love them, if conditions are unhealthy for them you need to either make conditions that are appropriate right away or you need to make hard decisions. Please help us help you by giving us more information.

Back
Top Bottom