Winterizing coop not working out

Pics

SilkieSisters

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
I live up north where the winters get pretty brutal and the snow lasts until March or April. Until now the snow has been on and off so the hens are still able to go outside some days (they dont like coming outside in the snow). In November I completely cleaned out the coop and tarped the walls and installed a ventilator in the roof to keep it dry inside. I really wanted to do it right this year in the coop during winter. I got rid of the heat lamps and got a red light for the night and white light for the day. I also got a flat panel radiator specifically for coops for when it gets below freezing. However, the hard snow and cold hasn't started yet for the long run and the coop bedding is already stinky and really dirty . . . damp and soggy. I know this isn't good for them and I don't know what Im doing wrong. Maybe there's too many of them, but it doesn't get this wet this fast in the other seasons and I know how dangerous wet bedding is in the winter. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Photos of set up?

Also helpful to know the exact measurements of coop, the number of birds, the exact amount of ventilation and where it's located. Sounds like the ventilation system you have is either insufficient or not working properly, or just not enough for number of birds in the coop. More birds = more poop = more moisture, especially if there's not good ventilation to let that moisture out.

Keeping chickens in winter climates is rough. I'm in northern Vermont so I get your struggle. It sucks keeping chickens in the winter here - it's significantly more work.

I've tried all the things you've mentioned above, and honestly, you're best bet is to clean the coop regularly. I clean mine every two weeks and I scoop the poop boards every other day. I have Sweet PDZ and First Saturday Lime mixed in with their bedding and as the poop board litter, but it only does so much.

As the folks above me touched upon, you're always going to have moisture - from their water, from their breath, from their droppings. I think wrapping your coop would keep more moisture in.

What's important is that the birds have a dry and draft-free coop. Consider re-purposing the traps as a windbreak.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on what I can do?
We are of no help at all until we know:
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics).

...and...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-8_16-58-41.png

@Cryss
Length = 178 in
Width = 94 in
Roof is slanted so
Tallest height = 81 in
Shortest height = 64 in
By conventional standards you’re looking at a maximum 28 chickens for you approx. 115sqft of floor space (if you factor 4sqft of coop floor per chicken)

I too have an overcrowding issue in my coop. However I’m at only 15sqft of coop floor and seven chickens (I should only have three). For that reason I don’t have food or water in the coop unless they refuse to go out (like when we had 60mph winds and temps dropped to 4F. I don’t know what windchill was, but it was probably ugly.

For now, I am dealing with this issue by making the run as protected as possible. They have 120sqft of run and I have covered the run and roof with tarp to stop snow from coming in. The snow that does fall in gets shoveled aside. I also threw a few straw bales in the run for them to stand on. They destroyed some bales, and I’ve noticed they prefer to walk on the straw-covered ground versus the bare, dirt floor of the run. How much run space do you have, and what do you use for for the floor of the run?

I live in Montana and we can get A LOT of snow. Also, it gets incredibly cold here as well. So far my chickens hang out in the run all the time. Only one day did they not want to come out. I keep multiple waterers in their run and entice them out with a tiny bit of mealworms or scratch. Once they come out and realize it’s not so bad, they don’t want to go back in the coop until dark.

@aart @NHMountainMan
Okay so here is my plan . . . this weekend I will try to replace those 2 big tubs with hanging poop boards. That red light in the picture is just a red light (no heat). I got rid of my heat lamps because im too scared of a fire starting. The red light just helps them see at night to get to their roost when the main lights go out since natural daylight is limited. I will try to place food out in the run and see how that goes. Also, Ill try out sand instead of bedding.
Does anyone know of a certain brand/type of sand to use? Should I lay down a layer of bedding first then sand on top?

The unseen wall is covered in plastic except a small hole i ripped in the top, it has a door to the run which is kind of awkward . . . ill get pictures soon. Since my coop is on legs above the ground, theres a tiny door for them to go into the run which is an angled board leading to the ground. The run is small but long . . . my access is a bit limited but I can pick it up in pieces (clearing the snow might be a bit difficult once it starts).

I will also try to lower the roosting bar if I can.
Also, does anyone know why chickens do well in such cold temperatures? I know they have feathers but when I have tons of layers on Im still pretty cold so what makes them different. I just get nervous becuase ive had a chicken die outside in the cold in the past

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Good advice by @Peepsi on types of chickens that are more cold hearty. I took a glance at the birds in your coop picture and I saw many that appeared cold hearty.

For sand - simple, cheap construction sand from any home center - I paid about $2 for ea 50lb bag.

I just noticed in the picture that the ladder style roosting bars - it look like the bottom bars have been hit by poop from above. If you change the angle of that ladder, you could get the 12" gap between roosting bars so birds on the lower roosts don't get hit with poop from above, and the lower angle will also get them lower than drafts from above.

Like I said - I'm no expert. But there are a lot of really helpful people here that I learned to listen too - many of whom are offering advice in this thread. This is my first winter with chickens, but we've already gotten several blasts of winter, and so far my flock seems to have no issue with the snow and cold. They were confused on the first storm. I wish I had filmed it - for a few minutes they were running around catching snowflakes thinking they were bugs. then they bolted for the coop once the ground started getting covered.

It's currently 4 degrees in the Dakota's and windy. I don't get why folks think they need to provide chickens a climate controlled life. I have very little insulation in the coop and I only heat the water to 50 degrees. It's 20 degrees in the coop right now and the ladies have shown no sign of stress. Still cranking out the eggs...

Let the manure freeze, use plenty of wood chips for bedding and replace it weekly. Sprinkle in PTZ for moisture absorption.

Chickens and pheasants have survived centuries on the freezing prairies without people fretting over them.

Last edited:
Is the drinking water in the coop or the run?
How many chickens in what size coop?
How often do you add dry bedding?

A few things I do (or don't do) to keep the coop dry is to only provide drinking water outside, do not overcrowd the coop, do not lock them in the coop and allow them the choice of going in/out on any day, if I know there's a snowstorm coming that is when I choose to scoop out any wet/soiled bedding and top it off with fresh dry bedding because I know the birds will spend more time inside and track moisture in the coop via snow on their feet. These are some of the things that have worked for me, hopefully some or all of them may help you.

Back
Top Bottom