Winterizing coop not working out

Apparently I'm an outlier here. I LOVE my SweeterHeaters, (which I used for years for my bantams) and don't believe that compromises their feathering. I use a Thermocube, so they don't turn on until 32 deg. F. I use sand BECAUSE I have SweeterHeaters, and don't have to worry about the cold floor, since they can perch in front of the SweeterHeaters if they want to. I sift the sand often (minimum once a week in a 8x3 foot house with 3 Standard Easter Eggers, not including nest box which also contains food.) I do it more often in warmer weather, but must admit to laziness, as my house is modified from a little Chinese coop joined to a large iguana cage laying on it's side. I have layers of coroplast sandwiching insulation board (they would eat the insulation board if the coroplast wasn't between them and the board, and the corplast on top sheds the water, and is lightweight. Bricks and stone pieces weight it against the wind. It's a pain to take off those pieces. The only bird I've lost that might have been to cold was a Silkie. If they get wet and cold, they are in trouble, and those feathered feet don't help. Sand can be scooped, so all you are lifting out is poop that has a light coating of sand. I keep it in a feed bag and take it to my community garden compost pile. Of course if sand gets water spilled on it, I lift that out. Just add more sand as needed after repeated cleanings. In my view, although I realize cold-hardy breeds can survive without heat, I bet they enjoy a little when it's below freezing. Pioneers survived miserably cold sod houses on the prairie with freezing winds; that doesn't mean they enjoyed it, and I'll bet they wouldn't have turned down whole-house heating!

Apparently I'm an outlier here. Pioneers survived miserably cold sod houses on the prairie with freezing winds; that doesn't mean they enjoyed it, and I'll bet they wouldn't have turned down whole-house heating!
Most Sod Houses were small 1 room structures, with a fireplace and chimney constructed of sod, sand, and a wooden skeleton. They often used animal dung to burn for heat/cooking since wood is somewhat scarce on the tundras and praries. The bottom half of the room was dug out of the ground and top half made from stacked 2-3 foot thick sod and sticks/logs. They usually had thick sod covered logs for a roof. Even up north, sod houses have kept people from freezing, kept them dry and safe for many thousands of years.
As long as the house (1 room) wasnt too large, they had "whole house heating". :thumbsup

Last edited:
Keeping chickens in winter climates is rough. I'm in northern Vermont so I get your struggle. It sucks keeping chickens in the winter here - it's significantly more work.

I've tried all the things you've mentioned above, and honestly, you're best bet is to clean the coop regularly. I clean mine every two weeks and I scoop the poop boards every other day. I have Sweet PDZ and First Saturday Lime mixed in with their bedding and as the poop board litter, but it only does so much.

As the folks above me touched upon, you're always going to have moisture - from their water, from their breath, from their droppings. I think wrapping your coop would keep more moisture in.

What's important is that the birds have a dry and draft-free coop. Consider re-purposing the traps as a windbreak.
I live up north where the winters get pretty brutal and the snow lasts until March or April. Until now the snow has been on and off so the hens are still able to go outside some days (they dont like coming outside in the snow). In November I completely cleaned out the coop and tarped the walls and installed a ventilator in the roof to keep it dry inside. I really wanted to do it right this year in the coop during winter. I got rid of the heat lamps and got a red light for the night and white light for the day. I also got a flat panel radiator specifically for coops for when it gets below freezing. However, the hard snow and cold hasn't started yet for the long run and the coop bedding is already stinky and really dirty . . . damp and soggy. I know this isn't good for them and I don't know what Im doing wrong. Maybe there's too many of them, but it doesn't get this wet this fast in the other seasons and I know how dangerous wet bedding is in the winter. Any suggestions on what I can do?
@chickens really @MilesFluffybutt @Trevorusn @aart
View attachment 1979179
Here's my coop right now, I have 33 chickens and I know its too many for the space they have . . . I found that out the hard way after I got them. I have some containers down to collect poop at night. The water hasn't leaked or spilled at all and I can't put it outside because it gets so cold and below freezing a lot that they refuse to go out. Also, the snow will be above the run most of the winter season. I can cut as many and as big of holes in the plastic wrap as needed. The 4th wall in this picture that isn't seen is pure chicken wire and that's where most of the plastic is.
I think your coop looks great and for cold climates that is not too many birds. I am in northern Alberta where -20 is the average temperature for about 3 to 4 months. We have an insulated coop with ventilation and heat, 19 bantams in about 60 sq ft. I think actually insulating your coop would help as a tarp only breaks the wind, so your walls are still cold on the outside and warm on the inside creating condensation. You will have to finish out the year with your tarps so just frequent cleaning and a lower cold air intake will definitely help. I also see your water dish is heated, I believe these tend to constantly add water to the air. In the winter I provide water in the contained type of dog dish where very little water is exposed to the air and I provide wet foods like soaked wheat and cooked zucchini to ensure they are well hydrated. My chickens are bantams so as soon as it is -10 they are not allowed out but I leave the door open a crack for cold air to continue coming into the coop low to the ground and we never get moisture. My litter is a very thin layer of wood chips and then straw, I have tried peat, straw by itself and chips by themselves but this mix is the best for keeping our coop dry and clean. It is very easy to clean quickly in the winter as the straw acts as a poop catcher and can be picked up and moved out quickly and easily so to not cool the coop. This is a picture of the little day part of my little bantams coop for when they can not go outside, then we have a little pen that is covered from wind and snow so on the warmer days they can get fresh air and run around. I think your set up and birds look great and am certain next winter with insulated walls will make all the difference.

Attachments

• coop windproof 019.jpg
    coop windproof 019.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 23
  • coop windproof 011.jpg
    coop windproof 011.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 19
No enough info and I don't have time to read all the posts. Ditch the tarps and lights. We use the deep litter method, I'd do a heat lamp if it's in the teens or lower, if you want. With plenty of dry litter they may not need it. Our lights are hard wired in so they're safer. It's cold here, but deep litter helps keep them warm. Here's our recycled sunroom we added to the coop- http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/2018/11/fresh-eggs-sunroom-first-winter-storm.html We remove it in the spring, and store it. We insulated the roof of the coop. Have some ventilation and a small door open even in the snow. We've shoveled snow and tamped down a small are outside the door so they can come outside easily. They go back in if they get cold. Hope that helps...

My chicken poop freezes mighty quickly so don't think that's an issue for me. I keep the vents open too. There is usually some air moving outside so there's air moving inside too - if I have a moisture problem I'm not seeing it. 8 Ladies are still providing 6-7 eggs/day. I suspect the tarps are keeping the moisture in.

I live up north where the winters get pretty brutal and the snow lasts until March or April. Until now the snow has been on and off so the hens are still able to go outside some days (they dont like coming outside in the snow). In November I completely cleaned out the coop and tarped the walls and installed a ventilator in the roof to keep it dry inside. I really wanted to do it right this year in the coop during winter. I got rid of the heat lamps and got a red light for the night and white light for the day. I also got a flat panel radiator specifically for coops for when it gets below freezing. However, the hard snow and cold hasn't started yet for the long run and the coop bedding is already stinky and really dirty . . . damp and soggy. I know this isn't good for them and I don't know what Im doing wrong. Maybe there's too many of them, but it doesn't get this wet this fast in the other seasons and I know how dangerous wet bedding is in the winter. Any suggestions on what I can do?

We are in Vermont. My guess, without specifics of your setup, is that you should take down the tarp. Ventilation is the most important winter issue. It's the moisture not the cold that causes most problems.
Water in or out of the coop depends on the system: I have no-drip nipples inside, and heated dishes and a metal waterer (on heat stand) outside. I leave access to outside (run and larger garden since there's nothing left to destroy this time of year) open all the time (coop doors close at dark). I have almost 40 birds (18 chickens, 11 ducks), so a huge wet mess is nothing new. Letting them wander helps spread the mess.

We are in Vermont. My guess, without specifics of your setup, is that you should take down the tarp. Ventilation is the most important winter issue. It's the moisture not the cold that causes most problems.
Water in or out of the coop depends on the system: I have no-drip nipples inside, and heated dishes and a metal waterer (on heat stand) outside. I leave access to outside (run and larger garden since there's nothing left to destroy this time of year) open all the time (coop doors close at dark). I have almost 40 birds (18 chickens, 11 ducks), so a huge wet mess is nothing new. Letting them wander helps spread the mess.
Thank you!

Thanks for the advice! No issue yet except feather picking
Feather picking- When my chicken need to be cooped up because of weather-more than one day. I give them a wildbird seed bell- you can get anywhere look around even Walmart has them behind all the Christmas stuff in the garden center. $2.99. It take effort to peck at the the swinging bell, keeps them busy. I have six standard breed chicken and it last three or four days to eat the whole thing. My two duck try to eat it not much success with their bills they nibble on what the chickens drop.

Back
Top Bottom