Winterizing coop not working out

Also one more thing I just remembered . . . when it first snowed and I hadn't had the plastic wrap on that one side where half the wall is plywood and the top half is black plastic wrap, snow and wind go hand in hand here and the coop floor was covered in snow on part of one side. just like rain sometimes, it snowed sideways with the wind. What should I do to prevent that?

I'm not sure how high/wide that wall is, but if it's feasible, you could use a sheet of plywood or two on the exterior, camped out at an angle so it's not blocking all airflow, just keeping the direct onslaught of snow and wind from hitting that side. Ideally it would be a well-painted piece, including all the edges, with something like exterior semigloss or other tough stuff so it is useful for years to come. (paint both sides, and make sure all edges are saturated) When not needed, it just sits down by the side of the coop.

Also one more thing I just remembered . . . when it first snowed and I hadn't had the plastic wrap on that one side where half the wall is plywood and the top half is black plastic wrap, snow and wind go hand in hand here and the coop floor was covered in snow on part of one side. just like rain sometimes, it snowed sideways with the wind. What should I do to prevent that?
So now that the plastic is up, does snow still blow in there?
This is where 'Observe and Adjust' comes into to chickeneering.

I'm not sure how high/wide that wall is, but if it's feasible, you could use a sheet of plywood or two on the exterior, camped out at an angle so it's not blocking all airflow, just keeping the direct onslaught of snow and wind from hitting that side
Good Idea!

It's currently 4 degrees in the Dakota's and windy. I don't get why folks think they need to provide chickens a climate controlled life. I have very little insulation in the coop and I only heat the water to 50 degrees. It's 20 degrees in the coop right now and the ladies have shown no sign of stress. Still cranking out the eggs...

Let the manure freeze, use plenty of wood chips for bedding and replace it weekly. Sprinkle in PTZ for moisture absorption.

Chickens and pheasants have survived centuries on the freezing prairies without people fretting over them.
Lol chickens know what they can do, but chicken owners don't always know, so it's a learning curve. As it was said earlier, some things of chicken raising run counter-intuitive to what folks may think is helpful or needed, they learn soon enough though.

Back
Top Bottom