Winterizing Coops

Here is coop #2. It house 12 chickens and 3 ducks. I will eventually cover the duck side to give them a snow free space to go during the winter. I've also attached a photo of their uncovered run to show how much space and a cute photo of the group following me around. The covered run is also collecting condensation between the wood and the plastic at the bottom just the same as coop #1. We are also aware of missing ventilation innthe coop if anyone notices that. We have it bought just haven't added it in yet... currently getting by with just the soffit vents in the coop.
You are way over wrapping the runs. It is ONLY for wind blocking. You need ventilation in it as much as you do in the coop. I would raise the bottom of the plastic even with the bottom framing and drop the top about a foot. Remove all plastic in the top of the gable ends (the triangular section).

You are way over wrapping the runs. It is ONLY for wind blocking. You need ventilation in it as much as you do in the coop. I would raise the bottom of the plastic even with the bottom framing and drop the top about a foot. Remove all plastic in the top of the gable ends (the triangular section).
Ok thanks. I'll fix it this weekend. First time doing this. Last year the chickens never left the coop I don't want that again this year.

Looking for advise before winter really sets in. I covered 2 of my 3 runs this weekend with clear shower curtains just the duck side is left uncovered currently as it already is protected from wind. I left ventilation... the soffit uncovered. We've had some rain since and now I am noticing moisture building up at ground level inside the run against the wood the barrier is staple to. I don't really want the wood to rot out any way I can rectify this? More ventilation? I didn't want to leave a big space uncovered really wanted a dry place for the chickens to be in the winter. We get snow sleet freezing rain all the fun stuff regularly in the winter. Last winter the snow ended up being 4 feet high against the coop. I am leaving the doors open to the run when the weather isn't ridiculous and windows in the coop open during the day.
I read through but did not see your general location. That is always helpful information.
I will echo what you already heard. Removing some of the top most wrap will improve ventilation. We live in SE Mass. We get a fair amount of snow and cold. Here is a picture from a few years ago. The whole east facing wall was left open that year and a couple times snow blew in a bit. But not much. Last year We added a bit of wrap where the red outline is. The whole door was left open. This worked out well. If a huge snow storm drifted snow in the coop, the door opens out. That allows us to first clear the snow outside. Then open the door and clear near the door. With this setup, we leave both windows open all winter.

Attachments

• cover.JPG
    cover.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 12
I read through but did not see your general location. That is always helpful information.
I will echo what you already heard. Removing some of the top most wrap will improve ventilation. We live in SE Mass. We get a fair amount of snow and cold. Here is a picture from a few years ago. The whole east facing wall was left open that year and a couple times snow blew in a bit. But not much. Last year We added a bit of wrap where the red outline is. The whole door was left open. This worked out well. If a huge snow storm drifted snow in the coop, the door opens out. That allows us to first clear the snow outside. Then open the door and clear near the door. With this setup, we leave both windows open all winter.
Thanks for sharing the picture. I live in Ontario right on the lake. Snow goes all directions for us and we get lots of snow then rain then more snow. It piles up quite high. Last year the snow ice mix overnight regularly would be 4 feet high and I often was not even able to open my coop door it would be frozen shut. We hopefully have rectified that by raising our coop 12 inches. I am hoping for less volatile weather this year

Another question since you've all been so helpful.
Insulating the coop.. yes or no.
Help adding ventilation

Picture #1 Coop my husband and I built this year. During the warmer weather I just left a door and window open for ventilation. There are also soffets... I just bought dryer vents to add in at the peaks. Do I need more? And we also bought Styrofoam Insulation to put on the roof. Do we need to do that are will leaving it off help with ventilation. The walls are insulated.

Picture #2. Coop I bought of Kijiii last year.
I am planning on cutting more circles to add in more ventilation and where you can see light is more ventilation. This coop is jot insulated at all last year midwinter we added Styrofoam insulation to the ceiling but some of our birds got frostbite. So maybe it isn't needed? Last year I also kept the water in the coop this year I'm not.

So takeaway... is more ventilation needed? Do we need to insulated the roof?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 20221020_092501.jpg
    20221020_092501.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221020_092637.jpg
    20221020_092637.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 9
Insulating the coop.. yes or no.
For the vast majority of climates, NO.
I just bought dryer vents to add in at the peaks. Do I need more?
You are ventilating in terms of square inches when you need to be thinking in terms of square feet. Yes, you need more.
So takeaway... is more ventilation needed?
Yes. A lot.
Do we need to insulated the roof?
Some metal roofs will sweat in the cold weather with all the moisture that the birds expel during the night and it can drip back on the birds. Having adequate ventilation with proper flow would eliminate some of this concern but I feel metal roofs are just prone to condensate forming on the surface before the moisture has a chance to escape.
I would focus on getting a lot more ventilation in the coop first then consider preventing moisture from contacting the metal surfaces.

This is how my coop is ventilated.
Ventilation.png

There is a bit over 20 sq feet of ventilation left open year round.
During the warmer months, the windows around the roosts are opened up.

For the vast majority of climates, NO.

You are ventilating in terms of square inches when you need to be thinking in terms of square feet. Yes, you need more.

Yes. A lot.

Some metal roofs will sweat in the cold weather with all the moisture that the birds expel during the night and it can drip back on the birds. Having adequate ventilation with proper flow would eliminate some of this concern but I feel metal roofs are just prone to condensate forming on the surface before the moisture has a chance to escape.
I would focus on getting a lot more ventilation in the coop first then consider preventing moisture from contacting the metal surfaces.

This is how my coop is ventilated.
View attachment 3297413
There is a bit over 20 sq feet of ventilation left open year round.
During the warmer months, the windows around the roosts are opened up.
Thank you do much. First that saves me money insulated. Second I appreciate the visual I understand better with a picture

Does snow come in where ventilation is above your birds in the middle of the picture or is that a window?

Back
Top Bottom