Winterizing The Coop!?

Quote:
*** Any idea what they call them at the store? I went to TSC and the clerk didn't have a clue (big surprise - right?)

It sounds like a good idea for where I live. I'd like to set a light up in the corner of my coop - over the area where the water is. Hoping it will keep the water from freezing and give the girls a place to warm up. Woule like to have one of those outlets in case of unexpected freeze during the night..

Quote:
*** Any idea what they call them at the store? I went to TSC and the clerk didn't have a clue (big surprise - right?)

It sounds like a good idea for where I live. I'd like to set a light up in the corner of my coop - over the area where the water is. Hoping it will keep the water from freezing and give the girls a place to warm up. Woule like to have one of those outlets in case of unexpected freeze during the night..

I was just looking for two of them for my rain water storage and nipple drinker system, I found them at tsc but they didnt have them in yet however they were coming in on monday, here is a link with there sku, they will be able to find them with it and and this way you dont have to pay shipping. Good luck

http://www.tractorsupply.com/stock-...-sensing-electrical-outlet-controller-2170275

Hi I am new to having our girls-Iza Browns for the winter up in Indiana. We are almost done building a coop. Its insulated, but we dont have vents in in yet. Is screen vents ok? I was also reading about the Thermo cube that you use when its turns itself on when it gets cold enough for water and heat. Does TSC carry those yet? Also, I read that chickens generate their own heat up to 100%. But their feet you must protect. Can someone please tell me the width I should have for the roosts so the chickens can sit on their feet to keep them warm? Right now we have them in a small chicken mobile, and they are compact and probably warm inside. Our coop for our 6 girls is about 20 X 25.
I just want to make sure I do everything to keep them warm and portected. I love my birds. If I have missed anything I need to know, can someone in detail tell me what I must do? We are located in the upper part of Indiana almost into Michigan.
Thank You for BYC! It has helped me soooo much. Thanks for your kindness to all the many chicken loves.

Quote:
I live in northeastern Ohio and do NOT use anything for heat!...My birds have done very well without heat...I am too afraid of a fire in the coop...I have LF Brahmas...I toyed with putting heat in the coop and decided against it...Please be very careful with adding heat...Coops are dusty and fires are a very big risk with anything that produces heat...

~Laura

What's the Thermo cube?? Do you need to insulate the coop or will they keep warm enough inside if the doors are closed and there are no drafts? There roost is plenty wide enough for them to completely cover there feet on when then roost. We also have lots of straw inside for them.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean; it is the size and location of the vents that really counts; but you want them covered with HARDWARE CLOTH not windowscreen, in nearly all cases. Raccoons can climb amazingly well and windowscreen won't even slow 'em down. It can be good to have flaps (or whatever) that you can use to close down some or all of your vents, some or all of the way, depending on weather. (You will seldom if ever want to have *all* vents shut *all* the way, though)

I was also reading about the Thermo cube that you use when its turns itself on when it gets cold enough for water and heat. Does TSC carry those yet?

Depends on your local store. It's a real common item though; Home Depot and similar hardware stores also often have it. (MKKimmen, Thermocube is just a little fixed-setpoint thermostat thingie you can plug anything electrical into, and will make the device turn on at 35 F and off at 45 F or some such numbers). Note that a thermocube is not necessarily the most appropriate thing for most coop devices, as it will keep your device on when coop temperature is significantly above freezing which is seldom if ever necessary. Manual on/off, or a timer, is often a better bet.

Can someone please tell me the width I should have for the roosts so the chickens can sit on their feet to keep them warm?

The wide side of a 2x4 is fine for all but the hugest breeds; or a very large-diameter dead tree branch, e.g. 5-6" diameter or so.

Right now we have them in a small chicken mobile, and they are compact and probably warm inside.

Be careful with that -- it is more or less impossible to keep the air dry enough while still have them crowded enough to keep the COOP air significantly warm. It is generally better to sacrifice air warmth for better ventilation.

I don't know if you've seen my Cold Coop page (link in .sig below), if not you might want to take a look, it talks about coop design and management for winter cold and might have some useful ideas for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

My opinion regarding the Thermocube, bought one last winter, didn't use it. Found it was too warm. On 35 off 45 was way too warm, ran constantly. (They do make one w lower perimeters.) Chickens don't need it that warm.' My Coop is insulated, draft free, and ventilated, they did fine without any heat. I use a heated dogbowl for the waterer.

I personally would insulate instead of the heat lamp. Unless for some reason that isn't possible. We insulated, but since it is our first winter for our girls I can't comment on how well it will work.

Back
Top Bottom