Winterizing, vinyl Vs. Poly sheeting

I got the 10 ply shower curtains. I installed them on the inside of the run EEEEk the wind got them flapping around the same day. I need to install them on the outside. The girls are spooked by them flapping in the wind.
Where we use the really cheap & thin dollar store curtains they really flap. We too do them on the outside of the run. And we secure them with strapping. That minimizes the flapping. It does put holes in them. Which makes them last only one season.

Attachments

• strapping.JPG
    strapping.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 4
Where we use the really cheap & thin dollar store curtains they really flap. We too do them on the outside of the run. And we secure them with strapping. That minimizes the flapping. It does put holes in them. Which makes them last only one season.
Thank you for the tip! I will secure them on the outside. I have some long pieces of molding I won't use so I can wrap the top and bottoms. Then use zip ties to attach them to the chain link kennel.

Thank you for the tip! I will secure them on the outside. I have some long pieces of molding I won't use so I can wrap the top and bottoms. Then use zip ties to attach them to the chain link kennel.
I’ve found that bungee cords and stretchy clothesline rope works better than rigid boards. And they are much easier to R&R.

Bungee cords... That solves the problem of using screws in the middle of the curtain. Will give that a try next year. Or if I have to do a repair at some point this winter. Thanks
You might also consider nylon straps of the kind used with ratcheting tie downs. Last year I picked up several packs (2 per) of 20' long, 3/4" wide ratchetting straps on the TSC holiday clearance for $7.99 a set. You aren't going to find bungies that cheap, the rathets make em adjustable, and the nylon holds up reasonably well - at least as long (likely longer) than bungie.

The first year I made a screen with old packing material from mattresses. But that lasted just one winter.
The second year i bought a few second hands windows to block rain and wind. Got a few glass windows and polycarbonate panels for free. They all last many years.

If possible I avoid buying vinyl or pvc (in facto the same poisonous plastic). Polycarbonate and glass is a better choice for the environment. Old windows are often very cheap to get bc many people change single glazed for double or triple HR++ glass.

My PVC panels would have lasted better had I not piled them up on a warm day in Spring. I can't recall now why I didn't put them away properly but I took them off in a rush because the weather suddenly got warm.
When I went back a couple of days later to stack them properly, those in the middle of the pile had distorted with the heat from the Sun.
I managed to put up the distorted ones on the lee side, with inevitable gaps, but they snapped if I tried too hard to re-shape them. They'd only done one winter and the damage was all from the sunshine.

I have some 4 mil vinyl. After I bought it, I started to wonder... can it be reused year after year? Vinyl has a bad habit of going brittle... how many winters cold it take?
Here in Canada - 1 day hahahaha! if it gets to -30C or lower and its windy then it will break/tear very easily.

On the other hand I have had translucent fiberglass paneling (which isn't a thing anymore) at the horse barn for over 30 years and its still going strong.

I have put that hothouse clear paneling at the barn for some windows and I wonder how long that will last! It looks great, but expensive.... sure hope it lasts 30 years!

I've just done a quick Google on translucent fibreglass panelling and found some, but only uk firms. These days it tends to be called GRP (glass-reinforced plastic) or FRP (fibre-reinforced plastic. I'm pasting a link to an article that describes it so you can check whether it's the same material as your robust panelling. https://www.stabilit.com/en/products/translucent-sheet-reinforced-with-fiberglass/
I'd looked at it for adding walls to my run but shuddered at the price!

Back
Top Bottom