Winterizing, vinyl Vs. Poly sheeting

If I do something like this, it will be next winter.
I have enough poly and vinyl to do the job.
I know the marine vinyl is way no expensive than the 4 mil window covering vinyl the Frost King sells.
So I think I might go full industrial.
Making wood frames in which to mount the vinyl, making tracks on the outside of the run that these frames can set, and then being able to pop them in and out as I need.
I would only have them up during the winter months. And pop a few out if the weather was going to turn warm.
How thick should the Marine vinyl be? It's measured in Mils on most sites.
I want to to last and yet be see through. It was mentioned about the freezer door fringe and that stuff is NOT see through.
The stuff I have it listed as 4 mil and seems rather thin.
But I know on several other threads, $10 a yard for the good stuff is a good deal. But I am not sure what GAUGE the preferred thickness should be.

If I do something like this, it will be next winter.
I have enough poly and vinyl to do the job.
I know the marine vinyl is way no expensive than the 4 mil window covering vinyl the Frost King sells.
So I think I might go full industrial.
Making wood frames in which to mount the vinyl, making tracks on the outside of the run that these frames can set, and then being able to pop them in and out as I need.
I would only have them up during the winter months. And pop a few out if the weather was going to turn warm.
How thick should the Marine vinyl be? It's measured in Mils on most sites.
I want to to last and yet be see through. It was mentioned about the freezer door fringe and that stuff is NOT see through.
The stuff I have it listed as 4 mil and seems rather thin.
But I know on several other threads, $10 a yard for the good stuff is a good deal. But I am not sure what GAUGE the preferred thickness should be.
In my experience, 4 mil is quite thin and likely not hold up in strong winds or wind-propelled flying objects. As previously mentioned , I prefer at least 8 mil, but 10 is better. Also I like that it lasts a few a few seasons. What is your basic location?and why not winterize this year?

They are really good but my run wiuld cost several hundred dollars to cover with them. Perhaps if I win the lotto! Lol!
sure, they're a little pricier up front, but you'll still be using the same ones 5+ years from now. that cost amortized over several years is probably the same, if not cheaper, than using shower curtains.

also, the panels come 8'x4' like sheets of plywood. you can rip them in half and cover 16 linear feet of run at 2' high, which is plenty to keep the wind off of your birds.

Last edited:
In my experience, 4 mil is quite thin and likely not hold up in strong winds or wind-propelled flying objects. As previously mentioned , I prefer at least 8 mil, but 10 is better. Also I like that it lasts a few a few seasons. What is your basic location?and why not winterize this year?
I am winterizing. I was going to just use poly, 4 mil.
The wife wanted it to be CLEAR... Vinyl sounds like the correct stuff. Buying locally, you get what they have. What they have is 4 mil Frost king. I bough a couple rolls and will use that this winter for part of the run. It will be interesting to see how it holds up, compared to the poly.
Next year, I plan to do something far more industrial. I don't like to make decisions at the last minute. I will use what I have right now and plan for something heavier duty next year.
I am in central Indiana and the coop is on top of a hill. I plan to cover the south, west and north sides of the run, leaving some open towards the top on the west end.
I have the coop locked down pretty good, I have one vent on the east and west side open just a couple inches. They swing upward, so the opening is not letting direct wind blow through and the roosts are a couple feet under the opened vents. No bird would be in direct line. Last night it was in the teens, and when I opened the coop this morning at sunrise the gage said 36+, so it's staying warm enough I think.

I used shower curtains once and hated them. No matter how well you fasten them, they flap and bang and make a whole lot of noise. Maybe it's because I'm in a notoriously windy location? It was just too annoying. I'm in the suburbs and my neighbors are within 10-20 feet of the chickens, so I can't be having flapping sheets out there, especially now that so many work from home and hear everything. I got clear polycarbonate panels (they are clear enough for this purpose) and I love them! I got them before everything got expensive though. But they are SO worth it!

P.S. The poly is clearer than floppy plastic sheets (especially at higher mils like what you'd need, they get cloudier). The poly is crystal clear, it's just that the corrugation distorts your view a little. But not enough to be a problem. I can still see the birds just fine, and they get all the sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom