Winterizing

mstkseavey

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Belleville, IL
How on earth do I winterized my coop? I am a new chicken momma and my birdie girls have been happy in their deck box all summer. But now that my wearer is about to change to cooler/colder weather I am puzzled! What temperature am I looking for to keep my birds healthy for the winter?

The first picture was before run/coop modifications! The second picture is if the hutch we added for my injured chicken. The chickens love it. But the plastic box has me concerned. Any ideas about winterizing??

I wrap my run in clear vinyl shower curtains. You could easily do the same with your run. It keeps the snow and wind out, and actually captures some extra heat during the days. I attach the vinyl with 1 inch deck screws with a 3/4" fender washer to prevent rip outs. Get the thickest vinyl you can find. I bought heavy duty 6'x6' shower curtains for $4 at a local discount store, and they did so well I am using the same ones this year, so I should get at least two winters out of the curtains.

Last edited:
I am also in Belleville area. I am wondering if I should use a headlamp for the winter. I am wondering how much heat I will loose out of the coop door if left open all day.

I have been around the sun 63 times.

It is not my first "Rodeo!"

Nobody "I know" heats a chicken coop.

Healthy "cold hearty" chickens die from heat not cold.

I live in Canada last year was subject to -40º (C or F take your pick) no light or heat in coop NO PROBLEMS.

Chickens have been raised on this continent for over a hundred years without heat.

If you feel you must supply heat to your chickens I suggest keeping your chickens in the house that way you can huddle with your birds when the hydro goes out.

Chickens will die from cold if not given the chance to acclimatize. Hydro is more apt to go out in an ice storm or blizzard when subject to below 0º temperatures in my opinion.

How would you supply heat then to your un-acclimatized birds ???

Check out my Link:

Chickens Arctic Conditions

Prolonged Periods

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738994/chickens-arctic-conditions-prolonged-period

I am also in Belleville area. I am wondering if I should use a headlamp for the winter. I am wondering how much heat I will loose out of the coop door if left open all day.
What does your coop look like? We used a deck box like a recycle reuse project and it's perfect size and access but I am worried about it being cold.

I wrap my run in clear vinyl shower curtains. You could easily do the same with your run. It keeps the snow and wind out, and actually captures some extra heat during the days. I attach the vinyl with 1 inch deck screws with a 3/4" fender washer to prevent rip outs. Get the thickest vinyl you can find. I bought heavy duty 6'x6' shower curtains for $4 at a local discount store, and they did so well I am using the same ones this year, so I should get at least two winters out of the curtains.
If I had a coop like your I wouldn't be worried at all about my birdie girls! But no such luck. Their coop is a deck box made if plastic! It worked great for the summer and the size and access is great but I am worried about the winter!!!

I live in Central Minnesota. We had chicks in our basement last March. Now they are pretty much grown up. We have a coop (lean to) shed attached to our car garage. Our coop is facing to the north with the doorway facing the west. What do I need to do to winterize? I have a 8 by 10 foot wood built area not counting the run. We were thinking to not let them go outside for the winter. Is that a good idea? We have 9 chickens.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom