Winterizing

What to do to winterize:

If the wind is blocked, they can be tempted to go outside.

Going outside is good for them, and will actually help them stay healthy.

Sometimes they are picky about having to walk on snow, but you can try to keep the snow out of the run, or toss dried grass clippings, straw, leaves, whatever, on top of the snow.

I like to toss whatever they like the best, out in the snow to tempt them out.

If you lock them in completely, and don't let them, or don't talk them into going outside, you can have the following problems:
1. They will start to eat each other or peck at each other (very difficult to stop once they start)
2. The amount of poop in the coop will greatly increase since they are spending all of their time in there
3. The humidity in the coop will greatly increase simply from the moisture in their breathe
4. If you add a heat lamp to the mix, the increased temperature might unfreeze their poop and lead to higher humidity and high ammonia in the air
5. If they don't leave the coop, you are forced to give them their water in the coop, which increases the humidity even more

Do you see how giving them supplemental heat can often increase health problems? Several people have posted saying that they had chickens come down with respiratory problems when they used heat lamps, but the same people had no illness without heat lamps.

Also, the humidity issue....it is high humidity that GREATLY increases frost bite risk, NOT the cold by itself.

I put my water outside, in a spot that is covered, so that area stays mostly snow free.

All you need to winterize is
1. BLOCK the wind! If you completely block three sides, and keep the forth side completely open, that works well, since then there are no drafts at all, but there is still lots of ventilation and reduction in humidity levels.
2. Block as much snow as you can (or have lots of bags of leaves, grass clippings, hay, etc on hand to toss on top of the snow)
3. Make sure the perches are at least 4 inches wide where they perch (OK, I use 4x4s and 2x4s with the wide side for the perch, and we all know dimensional lumber isn't a full four inches, but close)
4. Remember that they will eat lots more than they did in the winter, so make sure they don't run out of food
5. Make sure they have lots of space, and if they don't have enough space, try to toss them scratch or scraps two or three times a day, as an activity to fight off the temptation to eat eggs or each other.

As to that last point, mstk, it looks like your coop is next to your greenhouse. Is there some way to let your chickens have a tunnel or some such to go from their coop to the greenhouse? Or, could you pick up the entire coop and move it into the greenhouse?

My coop is connected to my greenhouse, and the chickens get access in the non-growing season. I have the greenhouse connected by a very drafty/ lots of wire walls, but covered thing (I call it a shed) that then connects to my coop. The shed has lots of venting, and my greenhouse isn't tight either, so it works well, and no high humidity or frostbite. I think also, since there is a large open pop door between the shed and the coop, that helps too. I just mention all of that, because if you were to put the coop in the greenhouse, you might have humidity issues, if your greenhouse is tightly built. You could always take off one door at the end of the greenhouse, and replace it with an open wire one, for your ventilation.

Schoenherr.....that size coop might be OK, depending on the personality of your hens...but it is pushing it size wise. I would figure out some way to get them to use the run in the winter. I have had chickens start to eat each other in the past, when I had more chickens as well as less space, and once they started, i was not able to get them to ever stop.

I am not sure how much snow you get, I get oodles :rolleyes:

If you need suggestions on how to set up the run, just ask.

Anyone willing to weigh in on my situation? I too am concerned about winter for our small flock of two hens. I live in southeastern Wisconsin. These are pictures of our setup which includes a chicken wire covered old swing set (the run) and converted dog house that is double walled with some pink foam insulation (the hen house with nesting boxes). I am aware of making sure the water doesn't freeze, so that is already handled.

Our hens are brought in and out each day. The reason for this is the set up is not built very well yet. We had two hens last year that we lost to a fox at night. We are simply not comfortable leaving them outside all night in this setup (I know predators come during the day, but this is where we are for this year with hopes to build something better next summer). So we bring the hens into our garage at night which is not heated and can get quite cold. They sleep in a dog crate in the garage and then are taken out to the run/hen house during the day. The spend about 10 hours outside. We have a heat lamp that we can use in the hen house or in the garage. We can cover the run if you think that would be good....we are open to any and all suggestions. But what about the run itself? or the hen house? is it bad for them to go from the warmer garage to outside everyday even though our garage is still cold? Should we use the lamp at any time? These girls have become part of our family so I really don't want to screw this up and have the worst happen to them or even make them sick because we're newbies. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I have searched from time to time on wintering and see all sorts of advice...I am hoping we can get specifics for our situation. Thank you.

My sweet husband put a cover over our run and will be putting something around it to block the wind for the run. Our chickens are good together. The only ones a little dominent is the Cal White Rocks(2) hens. Otherwise we have 2 Buff Orph., 2 Silverlace Wyn, and 1 Barred Rock, (her sister was put down) hens. We have 1 White Crested Polish Roo.

Thanks!

galaxy,

I would think that what you are doing right now would work for the winter temperature wise.....but I am not sure how it will work snow wise....not sure how much you get though.

If the snow isn't an issue, I would not use any heat lamps, but I would put in a wind break in the outside run.

The other option would be to make a run for them inside the garage. You could make a multi story chicken play space that wouldn't take up much floor space. In this set up they would obviously need a light, but still no heat.

hello, i just got my chickens about a week ago and we had very mild temperatures last week and then last night it was in the low 30s. I have only 4 hens that are about 5 months old and live in a 3x4 coop (with a very large run) i dont have a heat lamp but I do give them a hand full of scratch before bed and they all cuddle together on the roost. oh and I have been using the deep litter method so far. this morning they were perky and impatiently waiting for me to let them out. it's going to get even colder in the next few days and im not sure if I need to add a heat lamp or not. they are all heavy breeds. thanks for the help guys! I love this site!

So glad I found this thread! Temps here in south louisiana are supposed to get down to upper 30's this weekend. Our coop is has high narrow windows cut into it for ventilation on all sides which worked fine over the hot and humid summer. Our hens spend all day free ranging and only sleep/lay in their coop. Should we cover some or all of these windows when it gets cold to prevent drafts, or leave them open for ventilation? Right now I'm leaning toward covering the windows on the unprotected sides of the coop and leaving the window on the covered run side open. Input would be soooooo much appreciated! TIA!!!

Glad to hear that I really don't need any type of heat lamps. I use the sand in my coop and run. We have recently covered the top of the entire run with secured tarps and 3 of the sides are blocked so I'm guessing I don't need to add any heat to the mix. I haven't had any sickness issues thus far and every morning they are trying to break down the door to get out. Even this morning with a bit of snow on the ground. (YES..snow. I'm in central Indiana) I tried to tell my husband we don't need any heat but he never listens to me...lol

So glad I found this thread! Temps here in south louisiana are supposed to get down to upper 30's this weekend. Our coop is has high narrow windows cut into it for ventilation on all sides which worked fine over the hot and humid summer. Our hens spend all day free ranging and only sleep/lay in their coop. Should we cover some or all of these windows when it gets cold to prevent drafts, or leave them open for ventilation? Right now I'm leaning toward covering the windows on the unprotected sides of the coop and leaving the window on the covered run side open. Input would be soooooo much appreciated! TIA!!!

I would only cover them if there is a strong wind that blows through there.

But, as long as you leave some open for ventilation, it is OK if you decide to close some off.

I would only cover them if there is a strong wind that blows through there.

But, as long as you leave some open for ventilation, it is OK if you decide to close some off.

Thank you so much for the input! Being from the South, I get a coat and mittens when it gets to 60º, so it's hard for me to imagine them being warm enough! I'm sure you're right, the windows are well above their heads even when they're on the top roost. Thanks again!

Seriously.............I am unsure of how to winterize, and I have heard that my breed of hen (Golden Comet) is not very cold hardy. Well, at the store where we buy our feed, they said putting hay on top of and around the coop is good.

Back
Top Bottom