Wire Brooder Floor?

neversaychick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I'm brand new to the world of chickens. It seems to me it would be so nice and easy to have chicks on a wire floor. Clean up would be a breaze. I saw one brooder in the sticky with that type of design. Is it safe for the chicks? Do they need the shaving most brooders have?

Some folks do for when they are older - or for a coop - but it isnt recommended for brand new babies or heavy breeds.
What are you thinking of using for a brooder?
Most folks use shaving for bedding becuz it is easier to handle - clean up, etc. Smells nice, too. Some use orchard grass hay - good stuff only - cuz it is easy for the babies & also smells nice. though it is more difficult to handle, it does compost REALLY well!
Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

I use playground [sanitized] sand; I buy in 50 lb bags at Lowes. Using a kitchen strainer (metal), fine enough that the sand passes but the poop is caught, I recycle the sand.

It stays clean & dry.

No pasty butt problems.

It serves as a first grit.

They dig and take "dust baths" early on.

It doesn't foul the water as bad.

We did wire last year and after loosing all 4 last year found out this year why it was a bad idea. We used unmedicated feed and w/o access to their own feces there is no slow building immunity to cocci, so once they went outside w/ the other chickens it was toxic shock. Anyway, my two cents

put newspaper down its cheap and easy to clean up just take the old layer off and a new one on

Thanks for the replies. I am anything but a country girl, but my hubbie decided we needed chicks!
lol.png
I am of course falling for them like I suppose he knew I would!

We've got 20 RIR chicks that are one week old (half will go to a friend) . We had them on newspaper too long in a smallish box so yesterday I talked hubby into a big shipping crate. He put the wire down on top of some 2x4s. Crate was nice and neat this morning, but I wasn't completly comfortable with just the wire and after reading your responses I put down a board on half the crate with shavings on top. Boy did they have fun with that when I put it in! They have settled down now and are sleeping on top of the wire where they threw some of the shaving down (under the lamp). I think this is a happy compromise.

Paper towels work better than newspaper. I move mine out to a wire floor brooder after the first week or two. Just give them a piece of plywood or something solid under the heat lamp for them to stand on. It blocks the wind and air from coming thru the wire to chill them.

Quote:
Wire floor is OK, but mesh finer than 1/2 inch is recommended for a little ones.
When they are about 3 weeks old 1/2 mesh is fine.

I use newspaper changed every day for first 3 weeks.
Some people will say that newspaper is slippery and will cause spradle legs.

That's what I do:

Take a sheet of newspaper and kneed it into a small ball, than unwrap it back to original shape. This process creates lots of wrinkles increasing traction, takes only a few seconds.

I never had a case of spraddle eggs.

I do not use shavings, had few cases a chick choked to death trying to eat it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom