Wire fence

goldstar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
I could use some advice on what fencing to use for the outside run I am building. I plan on using 2 by 4 construction for the frame work.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I have chicken wire with hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet of the run. If you are concerned about dogs, you may want to put the wire over cattle panels to make it stronger. Be sure to bury the bottom of the fence or run it flat on the ground outside the run as well.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I have chicken wire with hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet of the run. If you are concerned about dogs, you may want to put the wire over cattle panels to make it stronger. Be sure to bury the bottom of the fence or run it flat on the ground outside the run as well.

I think this is the way to go - hardware cloth can be pricey and the bottom 2' is good enough!

welcome-byc.gif
You especially need to have the hardware cloth come up 2 ft. or so around the sides of the run to prevent raccoons from reaching in. They will grab any body part they can reach and drag it through the fence openings and eat chickens on spot.

If you have a problem with hawks you should have some kind of top of your run also . Even deer netting as a topping will deter hawks because they don't want to risk damaging their wings flying thru it.

Back
Top Bottom