Wire Floor of Run

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi - am about to buy a run that I really like - it has a sturdy frame and is modular so I can add on. It has a wire bottom tho that is to prevent predators from coming in from underneath or digging. How does one protect the chicken's feet and also keep it so that you can scoop out poops etc... with wire in there. Does anyone know?

If the wire is on or under the ground it is probably for predators. It it is lifted it is to help keep their feet clean. Poop will also fall through so you can clean it easily.

Hi - am about to buy a run that I really like - it has a sturdy frame and is modular so I can add on. It has a wire bottom tho that is to prevent predators from coming in from underneath or digging. How does one protect the chicken's feet and also keep it so that you can scoop out poops etc... with wire in there. Does anyone know?
Put a foot of bedding inside.

Link to product?

If they have an option for no wire, the money would be better spent on an anti-dig apron outside the coop.

Wire is hard on the chickens' feet and frustrates their natural instinct to dig and scratch.

Like 4" - 6" wouldn't be ok? Has to be a foot?

As the owner of a Light Brahma who can excavate a hole deep enough to sink herself to the level of her back in just a day or two, she'd hit wire in no time flat with only 4-6" of bedding to work with.

It's possible that she's unusually dedicated to digging.

Back
Top Bottom