Wire for coop / wire for run

Light family

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
Pacific North West (BC)
I’ve built our first coop, and used 1/4” hardware cloth. The only predators we need to worry about around here are raccoons and rats. I’m wondering if I should have gone with 1/2” cloth because it’s a thicker gauge...I’ve read that raccoons can tear through the thinner 1/4” stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
One last thing: I’m planning out the chicken run, and was planning on using some kind of inexpensive wire fencing, with the bottom 12” also covered with the 1/4” hardware cloth (which will be buried 12” into the ground). And later, if necessary, I can throw some bird netting over the top of the run. I’d appreciate suggestions for the wire fencing material...I’ve read that 2x4 14 gauge Wire fencing is great but I haven’t priced that out yet. (This is a small run, for about 5 birds...about 7’ x 7’)
Thanks in advance!

I’ve read that raccoons can tear through the thinner 1/4” stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
They could conceivably tear thru 1/2" also, much depends on how carefully it is attached.
I do think that the heavier gauge 1/2" is a better way to go.

7 x 7 might be a bit small for 5 birds...go bigger if you can.

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @Light family
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1587161038792.png

They could conceivably tear thru 1/2" also, much depends on how carefully it is attached.
I do think that the heavier gauge 1/2" is a better way to go.

7 x 7 might be a bit small for 5 birds...go bigger if you can.

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @Light family
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2094281
Thank you! I added our location. Was wondering where to add it.

We added some space to the plan so it is now 62 sq feet (for 5 birds or possibly just 4). We will let them range in the yard sometimes too and eventually will build a smaller portable run for daytime use.

Thanks again for the tips! So grateful to find such a friendly and helpful online community.

The bottom of the raised floor part of the enclosure I keep my pet coons in 1/4 inch hardware cloth and they haven't tore it up yet in the 2 years I've had em. Granted they kept fed and aint looking to tear into it out of hunger. The key is attachment of it. The rest of it is 1 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire fencing. That is also what I built the sides of my coop out of.

Back
Top Bottom