Wire on the ground-Wire on the ground

This past summer I built a chicken tractor and put chicken wire on the bottom of it thinking that it would prevent the birds from scratching up all of the grass underneath. Big mistake. It very soon became matted down with chicken manure and it wouldn't fall through when I'd move the tractor.

Quote:
Thats what I needed to know. What about the scratching? Did they injur (<---how do you spell that?) their feet from trying to scratch the chicken wire?

Putting mesh and chain link fencing flat on the ground is a common practice for dog pens. Actually they try to bury it a couple inches below the surface. It really keeps the dogs from digging their way out. But injury to a chickens tiny feet may be a problem if used in a chicken run. Opa brings up a good point about collecting poo.

mjdtexan (you said that you don't mind if we stray from on-topic discussion - well here goes . . .)
I notice your avatar. Our motor home was his first motor home. He purchased it in 2000 and, at that time, he did not like to stay at the tracks and always wanted to stay in hotels and motels. I think he changed his mind in 2002 and purchased one of those fancy $800k motor homes. I purchased it from his nephew in 2007. We call it The Boogity Express. Sorry, I know this is WAY off topic
wink.png

Quote:
EVERY thing that is NOT about NASCAR is off topic to me, so, you were right on target
lol.png
I will be looking for a Tony Stewart signed post card now that I know you have to connection.
smile.png

Have you thought about just adding several inches of sand to their run? This will reduce the puddling problem dramatically. As others have said, there just is no grass that will survive in there. If you go this route, add the sand when the dirt is as hard as a rock.
(Go "24")

Quote:
I hadnt thought of sand. I wonder what 6 or 7 yards of sand cost?

Did I just see you say "(Go 24)" ? You live in the same state that my driver is from. You aught to be rooting for #14.

Back
Top Bottom