Wire or net to cover run?

Chickenfam57

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
New chicken owner - the sides of our run will be approx. 7’ with welded wire fencing. What should we use for the top? Does it have to be the strong welded wire or can it be something a little cheaper like wire poultry netting? Hawks are the main concern but are there any predators that will climb a 7’ fence that would require a stronger material? I’ve honestly never heard about other predator issues besides hawks from local chicken-owners, but we do have raccoons around and maybe some foxes. Would any small mammals climb a 7’ fence and require a stronger “roof” thank a hawk?

This is what you're trying to prevent. Chicken wire is only good at keeping chickens out of areas you don't want them in. Welded wire with 1"x1" or larger openings will allow predator in. Some do very well with covering the bottom 2' of the run with HC, others like myself, choose to cover everything in 1/2" HC.

Attachments

• ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 12
We really need more info on your setup. Pics would be great. Difficult to give advice without knowing all the info.
I don’t have anything built yet, just ordering materials. What other info is important besides fence height? The run is going to be approx. 12’ x 14’ plus the space under the coop. Fence will be 7’ tall. It’s in our side yard which is part of a fully fenced back yard that backs up to a fenced farm field. Never seen a wild mammal in the yard other than bunnies and a couple deer who got stuck inside the fence. Tons of birds of prey around - hawks, ospreys, bald eagles - so they’re probably the biggest threat.

I don’t have anything built yet, just ordering materials. What other info is important besides fence height? The run is going to be approx. 12’ x 14’ plus the space under the coop. Fence will be 7’ tall. It’s in our side yard which is part of a fully fenced back yard that backs up to a fenced farm field. Never seen a wild mammal in the yard other than bunnies and a couple deer who got stuck inside the fence. Tons of birds of prey around - hawks, ospreys, bald eagles - so they’re probably the biggest threat.
Chickens can draw critters into your yard.

At 12x14 you'll have to support anything you use as a roof.

Do you need shade and/or snow protection?

Welcome to BYC! @Chickenfam57
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653351411073.png

This is what you're trying to prevent. Chicken wire is only good at keeping chickens out of areas you don't want them in. Welded wire with 1"x1" or larger openings will allow predator in. Some do very well with covering the bottom 2' of the run with HC, others like myself, choose to cover everything in 1/2" HC.
The photo 😂 you started answering my question as I was writing it - but please clarify what is HC - hardware cloth?

Back
Top Bottom