Wire Question... please help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4hLuvers, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 4hLuvers

4hLuvers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    We are planning to put our wire on our 10 by 8 chicken run today and have a few questions"
    1. which side should we put the wire on?? In or Out?? (we plan to use both welded and chicken wire and will bury it)

2. what should we use to attach it?

3. how far should we bury it??

4. What is an easy way to cut the wire???

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:1. I put my chicken wire on the outside. I dont know if it makes a difference.
    2. We used a staple gun for ours, though it took a lot of staples...
    3. Can't help you there, we didn't bury ours.
    4. I used Plyers (sp?)

3. absinor

absinor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    1. We put ours on the outside so the chickies wouldn't encounter any sharp edges.

2. We used stainless staples (expensive) AND lots of wire staples (the ones that hammer in). The wire staples were a pain but I feel better about it.

3. We buried about 6 inches down and 10-12 inches out. Not sure if we did the best/right thing on this.

4. We never found an easy way to cut!!! Gloves, strong wire cutters and trading off were the only things that helped!

Good luck...post pics!

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I used hardware cloth for my smaller inner run. It was more expensive then chicken wire, but the predator proofing it offers are far superior to any other wire fencing. I too put mine on the outside, using the fence staples. They are the strongest type of staple, unlikely even a dog could pull them out.

I buried it 12-14" deep all around the run, and the hen house too. I did the base of the coop as I didn't want rats, or mink getting under it.

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

If quarter or ¼ inch is considered hardware cloth…then that is good. It is harder to work with but safer and cleaner for you and the chickens.

Years ago, when we built our “$5,000.00” chicken house, we were told to use quarter inch galvanized wire. An old poultry man told us that baby mice can get though half inch and after they eat, they cannot get out again.

By the way, it was just a family joke that the chicken house cost $5000.000. Of course, it did not cost $5K. [​IMG]

It’s just that my ex-father-in-law was pisst that we were building a nice place for our “two" chickens. He felt that having chickens in the family was beneath him and my mother-in-law. [​IMG]

It wasn’t our fault that people kept asking us who live in the “guest house” outback. Who ha! [​IMG]

6. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:1. I have the wire on the outsides with 2x4's at the bottom for added stability (keeps it from warping if you don't have it buried but I suggest burying it about 1ft

2. I used 4x4s and wood staples

3. as I said 1ft

4. Get wire cutters, if you don't have those, uhm those hedge clippers work good.

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Ha ha. what would we do
    with in-laws..

wire to your liking and cost.
    and safty for critters not
    to get in. heavy duty staples. and bury
    12' deep We did. and alls well ..

meant What would we do
    WITH OUT in laws

bury 12 inches deep. not 12 ft.... LOL

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. We put ours on the outside too with heavy duty staples. I don't know if it really matters, but we put it on top too to make the run more critter proof. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by