Wire Question... please help

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
We are planning to put our wire on our 10 by 8 chicken run today and have a few questions"
1. which side should we put the wire on?? In or Out?? (we plan to use both welded and chicken wire and will bury it)

2. what should we use to attach it?

3. how far should we bury it??

4. What is an easy way to cut the wire???

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Quote:
1. I put my chicken wire on the outside. I dont know if it makes a difference.
2. We used a staple gun for ours, though it took a lot of staples...
3. Can't help you there, we didn't bury ours.
4. I used Plyers (sp?)

1. We put ours on the outside so the chickies wouldn't encounter any sharp edges.

2. We used stainless staples (expensive) AND lots of wire staples (the ones that hammer in). The wire staples were a pain but I feel better about it.

3. We buried about 6 inches down and 10-12 inches out. Not sure if we did the best/right thing on this.

4. We never found an easy way to cut!!! Gloves, strong wire cutters and trading off were the only things that helped!

Good luck...post pics!

I used hardware cloth for my smaller inner run. It was more expensive then chicken wire, but the predator proofing it offers are far superior to any other wire fencing. I too put mine on the outside, using the fence staples. They are the strongest type of staple, unlikely even a dog could pull them out.

I buried it 12-14" deep all around the run, and the hen house too. I did the base of the coop as I didn't want rats, or mink getting under it.

If quarter or ¼ inch is considered hardware cloth…then that is good. It is harder to work with but safer and cleaner for you and the chickens.

Years ago, when we built our “$5,000.00” chicken house, we were told to use quarter inch galvanized wire. An old poultry man told us that baby mice can get though half inch and after they eat, they cannot get out again.

By the way, it was just a family joke that the chicken house cost $5000.000. Of course, it did not cost $5K.
wink.png

It’s just that my ex-father-in-law was pisst that we were building a nice place for our “two" chickens. He felt that having chickens in the family was beneath him and my mother-in-law.
he.gif

It wasn’t our fault that people kept asking us who live in the “guest house” outback. Who ha!
cool.png

Quote:
1. I have the wire on the outsides with 2x4's at the bottom for added stability (keeps it from warping if you don't have it buried but I suggest burying it about 1ft

2. I used 4x4s and wood staples

3. as I said 1ft

4. Get wire cutters, if you don't have those, uhm those hedge clippers work good.

Ha ha. what would we do
with in-laws..

wire to your liking and cost.
and safty for critters not
to get in. heavy duty staples. and bury
12' deep We did. and alls well ..

meant What would we do
WITH OUT in laws

bury 12 inches deep. not 12 ft.... LOL

Last edited:
I agree with the other posts. We put ours on the outside too with heavy duty staples. I don't know if it really matters, but we put it on top too to make the run more critter proof.
idunno.gif
hu.gif
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom