Wiring Dia. using SPDT relays to operate Pop door

clap

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Here is a simple wiring diagram I found that will work with 12v dc motor using 2 limit switches , 2 diodes ( 1N4001) from Radio Shack and 2 automotive SPDT relays. This is a easy set up for making a auto chicken coop door. I am using a car window motor. I hope this helps somebody out. I couldn't seem to get any help from anybody about it. Where it says Norm Open on the right side is where you would use a 12v Timer
Clap (Dave C)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here is a simple wiring diagram I found that will work with 12v dc motor using 2 limit switches , 2 diodes ( 1N4001) from Radio Shack and 2 automotive SPDT relays. This is a easy set up for making a auto chicken coop door. I am using a car window motor. I hope this helps somebody out. I couldn't seem to get any help from anybody about it. Where it says Norm Open on the right side is where you would use a 12v Timer
Clap (Dave C)

attachment.php
Ok so this thread is very old (Like you said tho "I hope this helps somebody out. I couldn't seem to get any help from anybody about it.") but I just want to point out two things.

First thing you don't need the diodes if you wire it like this.

Two options.

Option One:
Using this harness will make this so much easier.
Harness linked in video description..
I did not install Limit switches in the actual setup but follow the diagram and it works.

Two SPST Timers Two SPDT Relays Bosch LS Neg.png
20201011_174656.jpg

Option Two & Second thing:
Second thing. Using the right timers.
Different setup using just two timers and no external relays but still using limit switches.

Two SPDT Timers LS wBus Bars.pngTwo SPDT Timers LS wBus Bars Photo 001.jpg

Last edited:
Clap (Dave C)

attachment.php
Upon further investigation of your circuit I came to the conclusion that this would NOT be a good one to use for a chicken door.

1. This is a single push button latching circuit. Press it once and it goes in on direction then stops, press it again it goes in the opposite direction then stops. That is good if this was to be manual operation, and even then it might not be. (More on that later.) Well the problem is that the timer will not know in what direction it needs to go. If there is a power failure, all the timer knows is to turn on. So if the power fails during the time it opens in the morning, it will not open the door, but if the power is restored before night fall, the timer turns on for closing the door, but all it does is open it. Leaving the door wide open for predators.

2. Running this in manual also has problems. There is no stopping the door midway. If for some reason it does stop midway, you won't be able to turn on the timer or press the button to get it moving again.

Upon further investigation of your circuit I came to the conclusion that this would NOT be a good one to use for a chicken door.

1. This is a single push button latching circuit. Press it once and it goes in on direction then stops, press it again it goes in the opposite direction then stops. That is good if this was to be manual operation, and even then it might not be. (More on that later.) Well the problem is that the timer will not know in what direction it needs to go. If there is a power failure, all the timer knows is to turn on. So if the power fails during the time it opens in the morning, it will not open the door, but if the power is restored before night fall, the timer turns on for closing the door, but all it does is open it. Leaving the door wide open for predators.

2. Running this in manual also has problems. There is no stopping the door midway. If for some reason it does stop midway, you won't be able to turn on the timer or press the button to get it moving again.
Yeah looks like if door is in between, for whatever reason, then it won't work. Just curious. Not gonna use this for auto door, but was wondering how to fix, to use elsewhere.

Yeah looks like if door is in between, for whatever reason, then it won't work. Just curious. Not gonna use this for auto door, but was wondering how to fix, to use elsewhere.
Yeah I made the diagrams just in case anyone needed the but the clap OP has not been on since the last time they commented here. So never posted. I'll did them up. And PM to you.

Same for me too, just a red X. I want to see this schematic. Wire gauge for car relays like that is nominal. 16 gauge wire for the control/transformer side should be fine. The side that controls the motor will depend on the draw of that motor. Does the motor have a wattage or amperage listed?

I must have done something wrong causing the red X I will get my daughter to fix it tomorow
Clap

Back
Top Bottom