Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

The midget white turkeys are hatchhing! Very spaced out though. sThe chicks, no matter if they are turkeys, chickens or quail, alway fall out of the hatching tray and get stuck. I have "rescued them after a little while without having much if any affect on my hatching. I think that the GQF is large enough to hold the humidity and heat and able to catch back up quickly. I guess I will learn the hard way!

Fat Tuesday was a day and night of indulgance and glutany for sure. A local sports bar has a crawfish boil with andoule sausage, baby reds, and corn on the cob and it is huge! I had their etouffe for lunch and their jambalaya for dinner along with a couple whole crayfish. We were decked out in beads and masks and had a couple Albita beers! I have eaten so much and and I am still hungry for more!

I should have my Standards books coming, bought myself a little birthday present. I am excited to get to know them from front to back!

Joe

good evening folks,

finally saw the sun for a few hours today, hit 35º and some of the girls went out to play

working on a couple of projects, getting antsy for spring, the last couple of winters really got me spoiled

most everyone likes a little tongue now and then, the headcheese is alright if made properly and not fromunda

pasty butt, yup had a couple chicks with it last year, used TO's technique didn't hurt me a bit and the chicks did fine

I do think adding some ACV "with the Mother" to the water a couple of days in will only do good for their systems

went to Iron Mountain VA today for some tests, thought I would stop at TSC on the way home,,,nope not where I thought it was,,,,will save my list for FF

I plan to cut a plastic barrel in half,invert and set the open end down on the floor of the coop, cut a entry hole with a wire door, lay down straw for a nest and use this for a broodie,,,,might as well make 2 while I'm at it, I have a 4X8' area in the coop where these can be out of the way and away from the rest of the birds until the time is right to open them up

dangoingbackintolurkmode

Hey H&R, about how old is my sister's peacock?
He is coming up on 2 years old- I think they were hatched either May or June 2011 as he is the same age as our pair
wink.png

Here is an updated pic of one of the groups of bunnies- they are 1 week old-still hiding out in the nest the doe made
big_smile.png
All 3 does are excellant mothers- hoping that DD gets some good ones to show at fair for 4-H!

Had to wash 1 of our Andalusian roosters on Sunday- he was housing mites- he has been in our hospital side of the work garage and is starting to perk up today, will give him a couple more days and then move him back out to the coop.

At day 19 for our 2nd hatch- due Friday, will see how many hatch tomorrow- total of 35 eggs made it this far. We set Andalusian, Welsummer and Cuckoo Marans.

Waiting for DH to get home again- he had to take a refrig back into one of the units as theirs went down- of course they noticed something last night but didn't call him until late this morning and of course he was already in town
roll.png

Evening All....thanks for posting the comparison ND. They look like twins...LOL!

Jim, when you turn off hwy 45 to go to the Camp bash, if you were to turn right instead, his hobby farm is 1/4 mile straight ahead. Raimnel bought some chickens from him a couple years ago. He always has the most exotic types of animals grazing during summer.

Just saw on the news that folks in sherwood have 90 days to get rid of their chickens or get fined.It was on the 26 news tonight. Hope susie j isn't in sherwood. I know she is by Green Bay somewhere. The lady they interviewed with the hens, isn't happy with the decision. She was trying to convince them to allow a certain number...however no luck....the neighbor was complaining about the smell.

Took the roof rake down to Camp...the lodge has 8" of ice along the roof edge. This should allow the sun and air to melt it off...it was quite the job without pay.

Talking another 3" to 5" tonight. Just in time for valentines. I don't think suzie is worried much this time...LOL!

You will enjoy the SOP mazo.

Have Fun...bigz

CC, his ALP, ALT and Bili levels are up and he has a low Phos level. Right now the doc is puzzled and is having another lab do more testing to determine how well his live AND his pancreas are working. We are giving him an appetite stimulant that is prescribed to people receiving cancer treatments, and I have another medication to give him (I cannot remember what it does). Squirrel had almost the same issues with his bloodwork, but he had a palpable mass in the pancreas region and he also had glucose levels through the roof. There is a possibility that Runt has Triaditis, but we have to wait for the tests to come back to make sure.

Runt looks a little more alert tonight, and his fur looks better. I kept the heating pad going on low all night and all day so if he felt the need to sleep on it it would be available for him. I have no idea how much he has eaten today, I did offer him the liver sausage this morning but he had the last tablespoon of my cereal milk instead.
roll.png
Go figure. I would feel MUCH better if I could get him to eat more than a few teaspoons at a time of anything...... but he is still taking an interest in dry food and almost whatever we shove in front of him so that is a plus.

Everyone ready for Valentine's Day tomorrow? I stopped at Hughes Home Maid chocolates today and picked up a few boxes of their chocolate cherry cordials, chocolate hearts for the kids, and a box of choc covered toffee....... packing on the pounds here...
big_smile.png

Anyway, everyone enjoy their evening!

I had a pasty butt hatched by a broody. I think you don't see it often cause the broody fixes it post haste. She was vicious. so much so that I rescued the little bugger and gave him the poopy butt waxing that the hen was doing with her beak while he ran screaming for his life. It was my first hatch and I wanted the noise to stop.

Thanks for all the compliments on the eggs. I will pass them along to the girls who did the actual work.

I'm sorry... I can't take it anymore. People talking about liking "tongue and head cheese." I read that sentence and my mind automatically blocks out the word "cheese" and then I'm SHOCKED by all you!

I don't like tongue, any kind of tongue, in my mouth, except my own...
And I'm not even going to tell you what I call head cheese, but I can tell you I don't much like that either... :D

Night all.....

I came in just before dark.. it was snowing ever so lightly..

I took Ollie down to where I am going to set up the new pen.. I pushed all the snow to the side and scraped down to frozen ground.. plowed a path to the rack pile and am about ready to start building.. I went to Menard's today and bought 14 pounds of construction screws of various lengths.. they are on sale for about a week.. I do not like the star driven screws, but the price was right..

did I mention that these racks are not 4 ft x 10 ft ?? they are 4 ft x 11 ft.. gives me about 24 more extra square feet in the pen..

I think I fixed the tractor tire.. I used my valve core tool and reseat the valve core.. well, at least the tire held up for the plowing I did..

I better go up and find some supper for gramma and me..

anybody want my SLW rooster ?? what kind of trade can we make ? I do not intend to keep him, so just about any offer will be accepted..

............jimbbl........

I came in just before dark.. it was snowing ever so lightly..

I took Ollie down to where I am going to set up the new pen.. I pushed all the snow to the side and scraped down to frozen ground.. plowed a path to the rack pile and am about ready to start building.. I went to Menard's today and bought 14 pounds of construction screws of various lengths.. they are on sale for about a week.. I do not like the star driven screws, but the price was right..

did I mention that these racks are not 4 ft x 10 ft ?? they are 4 ft x 11 ft.. gives me about 24 more extra square feet in the pen..

I think I fixed the tractor tire.. I used my valve core tool and reseat the valve core.. well, at least the tire held up for the plowing I did..

I better go up and find some supper for gramma and me..

anybody want my SLW rooster ?? what kind of trade can we make ? I do not intend to keep him, so just about any offer will be accepted..

............jimbbl........
What year is Ollie? Here is a pic of our Farmall that we had restored two years ago. It was the first tractor ever bought on this farm. Not the workhorse it used to be, but still gets some exercise from time to time.

wow, I punched submit on that last post at 6 PM.. it just went out now ??

bf4me sure sounded a bit testy tonight >> must have been a bad day at work ?

I am chomping at the bit to get started with my building project.. the snow stopped at just a dusting..

It sure is nice to be able to go outside without putting a coat on.. I mean for just the short stints like shutting the coop doors etc..

tomorrow I will be digging a couple of the cedar 2 x 10's off the trailer and ripping them down and running them through the planer to clean them up..

I bought some 7-UP and genger ale today.. the "root beer" we had last night was made with creme soda.. NOT something I would wish to drink too often..

...jimgoinguptomakeadecentrootbeer.............

Back
Top Bottom