Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey Unk, lucky for my BYC is real slow today. I won an auction for a batch of German New Hampshires from Lark Rise! I was the only bidder, too, unreal.
yesss.gif

I just saw that,,,,congrats,,,and I wasn't even there to cheer you on
thumbsup.gif

CC... I realize you are obsessed with "big butts" put I'm surprised may round little shape hasn't come under guns! LOL I can be an apple, or a pumpkin, or an orange, grapefruit or plum depending on what shirt I wear!
lau.gif
Hey now! I am not the big butt obsessor. That's Bigfam!

David, cardboard makes a decent brooder. Just make sure your lamp is secure like Dan said. I like the ones with the cages on them so if by some crazy freak the bulb were to get knocked loose (or however), it wouldn't land in the brooder. I had it happen once out in my coop, but luckily it landed in the wood chips, didn't break or cause a fire. One of my stupid rabbits did, however, think it was a toy & was knocking it all over creation (didn't break then either).
bow.gif

Jim, I am very glad to hear you're ok. Scary stuff. Wonderful job on the pea pen. Maybe the pains were from working? Strained chest muscles perhaps?

Quote:

x2 Very well said, Bl. I couldn't argee more. Not sure if the thorns will deter the chooks, though. I think some of Jim's birds purposely make nests in his blackberries.

Congrats on the auction, Amy!

Well we woke up to snow this morning.
somad.gif
Thankfully most of it melted this afternoon. But I'm sure they were dumping salt all over the roads last night. Now we'll need another good rain storm to wash all that nast off the roads again. I am SO ready for some bike riding weather!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Just got done shoveling 3 inches of snow, now it is raining. Hopefully the rain will stay and the snow will stay away. Getting excited to pick up my chicks tomorrow. Have a nice night everyone

I was going to remark that the chicks should be fine with you in the car. Use a box that will keep them snug, and having the heat on they will be comfortable. Think of what they have to go thru in the postal system. Pics when you get them!

How long do blackberries take to get up to privacy fence proportions? (Say 5 feet, thick, or taller?)

I'm longing to plant something along my property line that will wall off our acreage, could definitely go for blackberries, even if it means some purple splats on the windshield here and there. ;)

Not sure how to go about it, though, we're not talking just a plant or two. :p

Last edited:
We have many more Black cap berries than black berries. The black caps get 5 feet in a couple years. We rotate mowed paths through and get about 6-8 gallons of berries a year. They flower and ripen before the black berries flower.

You are welcome to have as many as you are willing to come dig up

oh, and Thorns, Lots of thorns.

That invite goes for all here.

We have many more Black cap berries than black berries. The black caps get 5 feet in a couple years. We rotate mowed paths through and get about 6-8 gallons of berries a year. They flower and ripen before the black berries flower.

You are welcome to have as many as you are willing to come dig up

oh, and Thorns, Lots of thorns.

That invite goes for all here.

might take you up on that!! trying to increase my small patch...

How long do blackberries take to get up to privacy fence proportions? (Say 5 feet, thick, or taller?)

I'm longing to plant something along my property line that will wall off our acreage, could definitely go for blackberries, even if it means some purple splats on the windshield here and there. ;)

Not sure how to go about it, though, we're not talking just a plant or two. :p
it will take one season,, maybe two .. once the roots are established, and if you knock them down like I do,, they will be back to full height by the middle of summer..

once the roots are established, they will send out runners, like strawberries do,,

blackberries do not do well if shaded ,, put a plant every 3 to 5 feet and within a couple of seasons, you will wonder , why the h3ll did I plant those darned things..

Annie picks a couple hundred pounds in a good year.. I make lots of wine..

.......jiminwisc....

Jim I so want to come and pick blackberries when they are ripe! One year when I rode along the pipeline in Western WI I picked a bunch and made the most amazing jam! I have a thornless version here...I have had it for 6 years now and I havent seen a berry on the darn thing. There is some kind of problem here iwth them...I think they start to bud and we get a frost or something. Difficult to grow around this area.
Hurley--you can get as many plants as you want in in the ditches around your place I would think. Black caps are crazy wild around here! I know there are a ton in the Kettle Morraine; I love to stop and have a snack while riding!

Smells like the ham is done...better head off and slice it up! TO

it will take one season,, maybe two .. once the roots are established, and if you knock them down like I do,, they will be back to full height by the middle of summer..

once the roots are established, they will send out runners, like strawberries do,,

blackberries do not do well if shaded ,, put a plant every 3 to 5 feet and within a couple of seasons, you will wonder , why the h3ll did I plant those darned things..

Annie picks a couple hundred pounds in a good year.. I make lots of wine..

.......jiminwisc....
So glad to hear u r alright. what a scare for you and your wife! doe any of this wine make it to the bash? and who do you have steal it away from/

Back
Top Bottom