Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi all it's been awhile since I have been on the list. Is there anyone around the center of the state? Starting up again I have 2 hens about 2 1/2 yrs old going to pickup 10 4 week old chicks this week. Thanks for the time

that's right Brent.
I don't use it on anything like that.
I use it on things like corn, and tomatoes . any other veggies get compost or are planted where I manured the year before.
like beets. onions, carrots, beans and peas. I don't like lettuce except head lettuce.

.......jiminwisc.......

Finally got the chicken coop built over the weekend. Chicks are moved in and seem happy.
I love seeing them run at full speed across the floor of the coop. Makes my day seeing them with all that room.
We ended up with about 140 sq ft of space after taking into account the space the food and water takes up.
They haven't figured out the roosting bars yet. I figure that will take them a few days.
It was kinda sad to go out to my garage this morning and not hear them or be able to walk 10 ft to see them.
I trekked out to the detached garage and checked on them. It got pretty chilly last night and I was worried about them, but they were fine. About half of them were at the door waiting for me. The others were milling about and eating...they were just fine.
What a way to start the day! I never knew chickens could make such a huge impact on my life... they're amazing.
@Daethen I'm considering goats as well. DH said he would get fainting goats b/c he thinks they're funny. I was thinking of dairy goats, but not sure my family would drink/use goats milk so that's on hold until I get the answer to that question.
You'll have to let us know if you get some, I'd love to hear about that adventure!
jean

good morning
keep in mind, milking one goat or 100 cows, you have to be home twice a day
morning and night..
and getting someone to milk the goat while you are away is going to be very difficult.....

after we got rid of our goats in 1977, I could not drink cows milk any more. It seemed so slimy ..
It took a long time, but now I can eat cows milk on my cereal.
I still have not had a glass of milk.

.......jiminwisc.......

good morning
keep in mind, milking one goat or 100 cows, you have to be home twice a day
morning and night..
and getting someone to milk the goat while you are away is going to be very difficult.....

after we got rid of our goats in 1977, I could not drink cows milk any more. It seemed so slimy ..
It took a long time, but now I can eat cows milk on my cereal.
I still have not had a glass of milk.

.......jiminwisc.......
Yeah, milking and having to be home for it is a consideration.
I'm a homebody and have no desire to leave even for my full-time job! (I actually worked from home for a little while and would do it again in a heartbeat!)
But DH isn't as much of a homebody and I need to keep that in mind.
Interesting about the cow's milk. I'm not much of a milk drinker already, just a butter addict and I love to bake...plus I make soap, never made it with goat's milk, but so many folks rave about it.
Not changing anything right now... still have so much to do around the house, mostly building fences and encloures. Maybe in a month of Sundays I can revisit this idea!
jean

I did milk the goats I used to have and as long as the milk was cold I thought it was awesome. If it got room temp it had that smell. I didn't mind milking them, I only had 2 to milk. The other thing is, if you just want pet goats that will also help with the weeds then you don't have to milk. We go through at least a gallon a day, so I would love to get the family drinking goat milk. We are pretty homebound anyway with our dogs and my son so I may go for it.

goats vs weeds = good
goats vs weeds = milk tastes bad.

I mowed a bunch of lawn today.
after all that rain,it really needed it.
I parked the mower in the garage,
ate supper and decided to mow another section of lawn. mower won't start. battery is 98%. WTH ??

I got the AC vent finished. looks good and works good. what more can I ask for ??

.......jiminwisc.

Good to hear the coop is finished speck. Nothing more fun than a new coop and fresh group of birds to enjoy it.

Did you check the gas Jim? Might need topped off.

Cut most of the lawn today....no trimming around the trees, so they look less than great, but at least the main lawn is done. Prolly gonna rain again tonight. My maters need more sunshine soon.

bigz

good morning,
both dogs took off last night,
I got up early just in case they would be back, nope..
I have to get one or the other tied during the daytime,

Yes, I did check the gas. learned that trick when I took a small engine repair course a long time ago.

actually, it doesn't kick the starter on.
nada, nothing. the battery is about 100% charged. all I did was shut it off to go in to eat supper. came back out and there is nothing when I turn the key. I hate chasing down electrical problems.

..........jiminwisc......

Rain rain go away!!! Enough already!!!
I have things to do today! :smack
Running out of room in the garage as we keep piling up supplies and priming plywood panels, waiting for a break in this "October" weather so we can get the coop expansion done :barnie

Back
Top Bottom