Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Soooo, anyone raise goats? I am going to be getting a couple of fainting doelings. Would also like to find a young buckling (because I am crazy like that).
Ha I wish. I just turned to Nathan and asked him if he thought we could get away with having goats. We thought we would have problems with the chickens, but we've had them for years.
good morning,
both dogs took off last night,
I got up early just in case they would be back, nope..
I have to get one or the other tied during the daytime,

Yes, I did check the gas. learned that trick when I took a small engine repair course a long time ago.

actually, it doesn't kick the starter on.
nada, nothing. the battery is about 100% charged. all I did was shut it off to go in to eat supper. came back out and there is nothing when I turn the key. I hate chasing down electrical problems.

..........jiminwisc......
Did the dogs come back?

I've got 4 welsummer roos, does anyone want them for breeding or "raising" purposes? I can bring them to either bash.

the dogs showed up just after 7AM.
I tied Frankie up and she immediately climbed into her house with the rooster. It was raining,
Zeke went and laid down under the apple tree and went to sleep.

You know if you scroll down below this page, there are a few recent forums you can check in on. I have been doing that every day. I mostly just read, but once in awhile I post if I think I have something to share.
welll , some of you know me, If I have something to say, I say it. I was kicked off byc a few years ago. wellll, I had something to say today. and I said it.

I won't be wandering far from chz hds any more. much safer here with you nice people.

I only went outside once today. I sorted through some cedar boards I have. going to build at least one planting bed. maybe 2 or 3
all small ones. maybe 2ft x4ft. for onions, beets and strawberries.

6 eggs today.. Ha, beat Zeke to them..

apple blossoms are falling pretty regular. hope the bees did their job despite the rain..
........jiminwisc......

@bigzio yes, having the coop done and seeing the chicks in there is great. Still have some work to do on it. Have to build the nest boxes, but since they're only 6 weeks I got time (famous last words?:duc) Always something to finish...
@chikenscratch If I have a welsummer hen, I may be able to take one rooster off your hands. Don't know if that would help, but I thought I'd let you know...hmm, maybe if I breed it to an Easter egger I might be able to get an olive egger. Now you've got me thinking! DH will love that! :hmm
@jim I really enjoy reading your posts and you and everyone else has made me feel very welcome here. I don't mind you speaking your mind one bit...if I need a verbal kick in the tush, I'm counting on you to deliver one swiftly! :lau
jean

Morning
smileys-coffee-292599.gif

Glad you got your pups home Jim.
Just killin' time waiting for the rain to stop, again. Boy, at this rate we won't get that coop expansion built before the snow flies!!!

I was trying to finish up mowing yesterday as it began sprinkling. Figured I wasn't sugar so I kept mowing then it started raining pretty hard. I was closest to the coop so I visited the chickens until someone came out with an umbrella.

I was trying to finish up mowing yesterday as it began sprinkling. Figured I wasn't sugar so I kept mowing then it started raining pretty hard. I was closest to the coop so I visited the chickens until someone came out with an umbrella.
Hahaha, I love this! Any reason to visit with the chickens...and keep dry as a bonus!

Rain, rain, go away, come again... in about a week and a half or so...
Fun reading after I have been off for a bit and seeing what eveyone is up to. Starting to need a cheat sheet for who all is in here and where they are in the state. We are central for the person who asked that. Littles are in with the bigs in the coop, still have not figured out the horizontal nipple watering system but to be fair those are out in the run and I keep filling the chick waterer in the coop where they hide. Watched for a bit as the hens moved in to lay. Littles are skittish, but it doesnt look like the bigs are as aggressive toward them. They just fly up to the roosts while the big girls are below laying. It is official that they hate the nest boxes I rebuilt instead favoring the $5 file baskets from Walmart. As soon as the weather cooperates I will pull the wood ones down, clean the poop board and add 2 another walmart special.

@bigzio yes, having the coop done and seeing the chicks in there is great. Still have some work to do on it. Have to build the nest boxes, but since they're only 6 weeks I got time (famous last words?:duc) Always something to finish...
@chikenscratch If I have a welsummer hen, I may be able to take one rooster off your hands. Don't know if that would help, but I thought I'd let you know...hmm, maybe if I breed it to an Easter egger I might be able to get an olive egger. Now you've got me thinking! DH will love that! :hmm
@jim I really enjoy reading your posts and you and everyone else has made me feel very welcome here. I don't mind you speaking your mind one bit...if I need a verbal kick in the tush, I'm counting on you to deliver one swiftly! :lau
jean

Jean (speckled6) Will you be going to the bash? I don't want anything for the roos, I just don't want to keep feeding them when I can't keep them long enough for any good purpose. I don't know whether you butcher, but you are welcome to all 4 and will be able to determine the best personality to keep and breed and butcher the remaining ones.

Jean (speckled6) Will you be going to the bash? I don't want anything for the roos, I just don't want to keep feeding them when I can't keep them long enough for any good purpose. I don't know whether you butcher, but you are welcome to all 4 and will be able to determine the best personality to keep and breed and butcher the remaining ones.
@chikenscratch the bash is the weekend after memorial day right? If so, then I won't be able to make it. One of my kiddos is graduating from high school and we're having the grad party at our house and there's so much to be done yet.
I'm new to chickens still, but I know butchering will have to be a part of having chickens (I will never order pullets only again, just so I can give the cockerels a good life and a merciful end) but I haven't had to face it just yet.
Thankfully I hear there's an Amish woman in my town who will process them for a reasonable fee. May have to go that route at least a time or 2.
At any rate, pm me and we can figure something out unless there's someone else who will be at the bash and can take them.
jean

be careful what you wish for.:old
I just found this, I forgot to send it. Now I don't even remember why I wrote it..
well, anyhow, good sunny morning. finally getting a nice day.
more sloppy cays coming, so enjoy what we get when we get it.

Yesterday the bracket holding one of my hydraulic fluid reservoirs broke. then the tank tilted forward and snapped off the two bolts in the base. tank was full of fluid. I couldn't lift it..
so I raised the bucket all the way to the top. that pretty much emptied the tanks. I got it back into place, made a new bracket,
replaced the two bolts and I am back in business..

the day started off on a sour note. everything I touched turned to siiht .. but I kept on plugging along and got a lot done and the day ended up OK..

we need some reprieve from all this rain. I would like to get some planting done this SPRING .. Do you suppose they named this season "spring" because of all the water we get ????

........jiminwisc......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom