Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Alright so I'm thinking of getting chicks from Merton feed rather than ordering online. Then I can get them earlier than April. XD
Has anyone gotten chicks from them before?

Fish Fry Friday to everyone. Merton feed prolly gets their birds from Sunnyside Hatchery...it delivers to the feed mills and avoids shipping chicks...just google the Sunnyside website. Reasonable prices compared to most hatcheries.
Glad to see the weather will be improving next week. I have alota wood in the woods that needs attention, and I need some outside activity too.

bigz

good chilly morning,
it is OK to buy from a feed store.
like BigZ says, they prolly get their chicks directly from Sunnyside. Sunnyside delivers the chicks to the feed stores with their own vans. eliminating the treacherous trip with the usps ..
and you can hand pick the chicks you want. If you are good/lucky you could end up with all pullets.
often, by the time you get to the feed store, the chicks are several days old. thus almost eliminating the dangers of them dying like so many do during the first couple of days .

Sunnyside also has a program where you can order POL pullets through the feed store..
you order them in early spring and they are delivered in the fall..
ask the feed store about this.
or call Sunnyside..
I did it once and was very satisfied with the birds..

......jiminwisc.......

soon, soon, it will warm up and those puters will thaw out..

I worked in the shop without heat for about 20 minutes. that was enough for one day.

I am making a blade setting jig for my jointer. I got the block of wood cut to size and planed nice and flat.

brought it into the house and got it all marked and ready for drilling six 3/4" holes for the magnets to fit into..

now I am going to watch the football game

.......jiminwisc.......

The temps may be higher this morning, but the wind kinda sucks. The problem with integrating the young pullets in with the layers is that they are pretty close to the same size. I think if I put a higher perch in the coop, that will give the pullets a place to get away if the hens get too pushy. The Sagittas are probably too heavy to fly up there without a couple of steps to help.

If you have a number of pullets to add to the flock, don't worry too much about bullying.
if you are adding just one, then it might be a different story.
I never liked making a roost high unless there were lower roosts to help them climb up to the highest one. they can hurt themselves jumping off of the high roost all the way to the floor. especially the heavier breeds.
I enjoyed going out in the milder temps today. hope to enjoy a few more days like this..
I am down to just a youngish pair of geese. If I could get $50.oo/pair I would sell them,, she is due to start laying eggs in early spring/late winter. usually when there is still snow on the ground..
.......jiminwisc.......

100_0418.JPG
100_0390.JPG

I charged up my camera so I felt like I had to take a picture of something.
here is the blade setting jig I made from a scrap of red oak and six rare eargh magnets.

100_1086[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom