Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi All,
been busy for a few days, hardly anything to show for it..
I just now had to go with Annie into the laundry room in the basement. another project just came up to put all other projects on hold. the water heater is leaking.. just dripping right now, but it will not get better by itself.

the 12 year warranty runs out in December, it seems like I just put that heater in a week ago..
a lot of good a warranty is anyhow..
I always said that when the water heater stihs the bed, I am going to replace it with an inline on demand heater.
Homdepo, here we come..

Extra roosters = chicken soup
......jiminwisc.....

I just got back in after spending the last hour and a half out in the hot sun getting the rest of the corn patch ready to plant. I don't have a tiller, so I used my broad fork and then my 5-tine cultivator. The patch looks great, but I am BEAT! :sick I will have my 3-year-old grandson help plant the (untreated) corn seed tomorrow.

How is the water heater coming? I really need a different option for getting hot water to my bathroom. It is such a waste of water waiting for the water to warm up for a shower which is on the second floor and is the farthest most point away from the heater.

I'm still hoping to make the bash this year. There is so much I will need to get done before I can say for sure though. I'd love to meet all of you helpful folks. :wee

Just made it back from picking up the heirloom pizza cutter for the bash. I need to get out into the garden too, but waiting for a little later to get out there. My maters and peppers are begging to get out of their pots. My garden needs tilled first. I might get that done later, and plant in the morning.
If you wrap the water pipes with the right size insulation chermoz that is really a cheap way to help some from the cold basement chilling the exposed pipes...but the wait for hot water will still take some, but less time to show it's warm face.

bigz

the old water heater is still dripping, but not any worse than it was.
we ordered a tank type water heater today.
delivery on Saturday.
the electric tankless one fell through.
I talked to a plumber who installs them a lot. He is from Illinois. He said that he will not install any electric ones north of the southern Illinois border.
He said that the farther north you go, the colder the ground water and the electric heaters won't heat the water hot enough.
However he said that the gas tankless ones would do the job.
I installed a small 110V one under a client's kitchen sink. his water heater was 48 feet away from the kitchen. I hooked the heater into the hot water line. that way he had hot water right away and then when the hot water from the regular heater got to the kitchen, the tankless one turned off..
We have the same problem here. our tank is 40 feet from the kitchen. it takes about 5 to 6 quarts of water to run before the hot water gets there..
BTW, that plumber quoted me over $4000.oo for the installation. we would never live long enough to recoup the savings..
we bought a 12year 50 gallon water heater, a microwave oven for our granson's new apartment and a new 25 foot tape measure for me.. under $800.oo including delivery to the laundry room in the basement..
once the tank is down there, I think I can handle it from there alone. just in case I can't scare up any help..

I am going to chance it and disconnect the old tank before they deliver the new one. then maybe they will take the old one out of the basement for me..:fl

yes, do try to make it to the bash. you won't be sorry..

we are going just for Saturday. Annie has to work on Sunday..

remember, the pizza cutter goes to the oldest person at the bash..:old

our plum trees are in full blossom.
nothing on the apple trees yet. but soon.

I finished the main frame for the AC mount.
just have to add some stiffeners to the back side so it doesn't warp.
.....jiminwisc...

The lady we bought our place from had installed recently replaced all the major appliances before she sold, so we don't have to worry replacing the water heater for a while. The house is set up so that all the water usage is in the north third of the house; the bathroom, kitchen and laundry are all right there together. AND the well is on the north side of the house, so the main comes in right under the kitchen. Guess where they put the water heater? near the south end of the basement. We will be moving the water ehater closer to the north wall when we re-do all the plumbing.

The cash cropper pulled in with his tractor about 10 o'clock last night to till the neighbors field. Not sure when he finished, I was dead tired and slept through it.

The pizza cutter looks nice Jim...I even took it showed to the folks at the dentist office today, I needed to visit for a 6 month checkup and they weren't aware of LBJ cutters so close by, but really liked the cutter and thought it could make a nice gift.

bigz

good eve,
Wyo, maybe they put the water heater close to the electrical fuse box ? probably didn't want to run expensive heavy wire across to the other side ??
Brent, those pizza cutters would make wonderful gifts. but really, you don't have to wrap mine..
Annie said we could spend over night Saturday.. as long as we leave early enough on Sunday for her to get to work..
I hope a lot of people do show up. once they do, they will look forward to next year
and don't worry, we don't spend all the time talking about chickens. actually very little time is spent on that subject..
this is just a little time set aside from the daily hub bub of life..
bring skeeter repellent.
.......jiminwisc....

I think they put it there to be next to the furnace for the gas connection. IDK
The electric, water and propane all enter the house under the kitchen and laundry areas.
All on the north side.

I do love this house though. The Arts and Crafts details are just incredible. Love the woodwork that has "mostly" never been painted! Kitchen woodwork is all painted.

Just need to update the kitchen and add a full bathroom upstairs. Someone, before we purchased it, added a toilet to a storage area - poor DH can't stand up straight in there and the throne is on a wooden platform for plumbing. I can stand in the center of the room where the peak of the ceiling is, otherwise I have to duck too. To complement the "throne room" there is a very small sink and cabinet in the hallway, lol.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to the bash this year. I was hoping to, but health issues are getting in the way.

Yep, life gets in the way...not a problem...hope you can make the event next year....it is a ton of special fun for those there. This event won't continue for ever....just sayin.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom